Cleaning Roller Covers - Who does it?

Old 04-13-20, 09:07 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cleaning Roller Covers - Who does it?

I'm curious how many people clean and reuse roller covers and for those that do, how many times do they get reused?

Do professionals clean their roller covers?

I've been doing a large home painting project with latex paint and mostly Wooster 14" rollers and have not been cleaning my roller covers. I'm not too lazy to do it, but with the time it takes to clean a roller cover vs the cost of a new one, the unknown quality of a reused roller cover and the price of a gallon of good paint, I just opt for a new cover for each room since I have experience with new covers.

I have a septic so I never clean my painting tool in the sink, always in a bucket which I then toss outside. Working in the winter makes it difficult to clean painting tools outside as a hose would help a lot.

I buy quality products and always clean my brushes using a brush comb and warm water. I've been using the same brushes for a long time.

Tossing a 14" roller cover seems like a waste but I don't think I would consider cleaning a 9" or less cover since they cost less.

Also, thoughts on storing a used roller cover in a plastic bag to be reused in a day or two?

Just curious what most people do when it comes to roller covers.

Thanks

Popular Reply

04-15-20, 09:41 AM
marksr
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
The really cheap roller covers should be thrown away before you use them

Old 04-13-20, 09:28 AM
Received 425 Votes on 396 Posts
I always buy good covers, so they get washed and reused many, many times. Like anything else, you have to use soap to clean.

Old wives tale, the amount of paint on a roller isnt going to do anything to the 1000-1500 gallons of water in the tank except give it a little color tint, wash away!

Old 04-13-20, 09:35 AM
R
Thanks for the advice. I'm just paranoid about the fine solids possibly entering the leach fields. Maybe I'll give cleaning roller covers a try again but I'll probably still do it in a bucket and toss the water.

Old 04-13-20, 09:38 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
I am not a pro but this is what I have done for years.
Remove the roller from the handle.
Wet some paper towels and wrap them around the roller.
Two or three layers thick.
Then put it in a plastic bag and double up the bag.
Then either twist the end or use a twist tie to seal the bag.
This keeps the roller OK for a few days.

Use decent paper towels otherwise you may get some lint off them that could show up in the painted finish.

Old 04-13-20, 09:53 AM
R
Good tips. I did kind of the same thing without the paper towels. I just misted the cover before bagging it. I have a small spot over a window that needs a slight touch up so I'll see how well my method worked later today.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-13-20, 11:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Whenever possible I was the roller outside with a garden hose. After it's pretty much clean I spin it with water pressure which also removes most of the water. Spray the grass [or whatever] when done to erase any paint residue.

I almost always wash my covers but I prefer lambswool covers which are too pricey to throw away.

Old 04-15-20, 06:59 AM
V
I have always done it. Why throw them out after one use? Even cheap ones (unless they were really cheap or had problems).

These should not be a 'disposable' item.

Old 04-15-20, 09:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The really cheap roller covers should be thrown away before you use them

cwbuff, Rodster_diy voted this post useful.
Old 04-15-20, 01:58 PM
V
I guess it depends on what one considers cheap and just how much/long that roller was used. A single room, a whole 'flat' or an entire house.

Old 04-15-20, 04:50 PM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
I throw away the cheap ones unless I plan on using them again with in hours or a day and then wrap them in a plastic bag without even rinsing them, They stay fine for another use.

If they're good quality rollers then I clean and save them. The paint never seems to do any harm to the grass where I clean them.

Old 04-15-20, 05:19 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, There is a tool for cleaning rollers. you put the roller on the end of tool and pump the handle and it spins the roller very fast (think of a toy top). Wet the roller on the end of the tool then hold inside of a empty 5 gallon pail and spin away. About 3 or 4 times and the roller is clean. I have read an article the takes an old roller handle and cut the handle off so there is a straight stem on the end of the roller holder and hook it to a drill. Never tried it, but who knows?
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 04-16-20, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The paint never seems to do any harm to the grass where I clean them.
I agree, the main reason to spray off the paint residue is to keep the customer [or wife] from freaking out.

While I'm aware of the roller spinners, I've never used one. Never saw the need along with it would just be something else to pay for and find a place to store. I've been washing rollers for 50 yrs and IMO a water hose outside works best.

Old 04-16-20, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
I always clean roller if I plan on using it soon. Like the next day Found out if you wrap them in plastic bag they won't dry out and get hard.
Took a old roller handle and taped it to a pole . Stuck in ground and than sprayed hose on roller. made a nice spinner. Had to stand back or would get a face pull.

Old 04-16-20, 07:35 AM
R
I reused a Wooster 14" roller the following day that was saved in a plastic bag and it worked fine.

After the comments here and some warmer weather I decided to try cleaning rollers again. I used the painters multi tool and was amazed at how much paint was left in a roller cover. I'm thinking the first time I tried cleaning a roller cover I didn't get all the paint out which would explain why it was frustrating.

I cleaned a Wooster Pro Dooz I used with SW Matte and a Super Fab used with BM ceiling paint. The Super Fab took more time to clean but the Pro Dooz was pretty easy. I used my roller/brush spinner and a hose outside and can see cleaning outside is much easier than inside in the winter. I'm sure different rollers and different paints will not clean up the same.

If I have to clean any roller covers in the winter, I'm thinking I would clean off the excess paint, then soak them in water awhile then use the roller spinner in a 5 gallon bucket ( taller then 14" for a 14" roller) Rinse and repeat. Even if the soaking/spinning process takes several days, it would be better than going outside!

No harm in a long soaking/spinning process I guess? The sleeves of the Wooster roller are plastic so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm glad I revisited this as I hate tossing roller covers but sometimes time is more valuable.

I will give it a try again with 9" rollers shortly.

Thanks for all the info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: