Stripping paint from metal baseboard heating covers

Old 05-22-20, 09:48 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripping paint from metal baseboard heating covers

I'm going to repaint a room, and I want to do it right.

Over the years the baseboard heating covers have been painted and repainted so many times I think the vent openings at top have narrowed. With current circumstances I can't bring them somewhere to be sandblasted, and since I'm sure the paint dates back to the 1970s and earlier, I want to limit any scraping, etc., because of lead concerns. And, of course, because the surface is complex, scraping would be really difficult anyway.

I do have a heat gun, and I've heard mention of Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover as working well.

Any tips/ideas?

Old 05-22-20, 09:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I've heard a heat gun can vaporize the lead in the paint.

Old 05-22-20, 11:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I've used heat to remove paint and it can be effective but it doesn't eliminate sanding. I don't know anything about lead vapors.

I'd take them outside and use a chemical stripper. I don't use strippers often so when I do, I generally ask the paint rep at the store for his recommendation.

Old 05-22-20, 12:01 PM
Received 504 Votes on 467 Posts
I'd just wait and have them sand blasted and do it right!

Strippers are a total mess to deal with!

Old 05-25-20, 12:01 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I removed all the covers and tried Citristip; it worked OK but the big problem, as I'd thought, were the vent slits--I can't get a putty knife in there.

So I cleaned the covers off and tried powerwashing them. Much better, but I *still* had trouble with the slits. Did a second powerwash and used a fan to dry them, then tackled with a wire brush.

All that got most of the paint off (slits still an issue), but revealed rust. Argh! Thinking a drill mounted brush, but the slit will still be a pain.

Attached Images  
Old 05-25-20, 03:37 PM
Received 504 Votes on 467 Posts
Sand blast my friend, it is the solution!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: