Need some advice about painting interior door

Old 05-24-20, 11:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some advice about painting interior door

Epic failure.

I tried rolling an interior door with various types of foam rollers. I also used XIM extender to lengthen the drying time of the paint. What ended up happening was streak marks and discoloration on the door. Attached pics of 2 different doors I tried to do.

Materials:
Paint: Sherwin Williams Solo Semi Gloss
XIM extender
Whizz foam rollers

I have seen this done successfully before. One of our interior doors was painted with a roller and came out looking like it was sprayed. I think this is just a crappy paint and may be why I am having such difficultly. Since, I dont want to have to repaint all the trims, I am stuck with this paint.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? Should I just spray the door?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-20, 11:25 AM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
SW paint is ok, I think its the foam rollers, a really good 1/2" nap roller is what I always use but my masonite doors have rough wood grain texture so the slight texture isnt noticable!

Also, semi gloss is so 70's it's really going to make that texture stand out, might want to try something in a satin level!

Old 05-24-20, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
I can't stand Solo. I will not buy it again. You might be better off with another line of paint. Snap Dry or ProClassic is far better IMO. The problem is working too slowly. You have to paint everything faster, not keep going over it multiple times, and apply more mils of paint. Messing with it by adding anything is probably a mistake.

I would certainly never use a 1/2" roller on a smooth door.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 05-24-20, 03:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So, I am trying to touch up but that doesn't seem possible so looks like I have to paint the whole door.

I don't like Solo either but I don't want to paint all the trims. Also, I'm just trying to paint the top surface of the door and ignore the grooves so I probably get away with that if I stay with ****ty Solo. I get what you are saying about moving fast. I am moving as fast as I can honestly.

Main problem:
I am noticing the finish turns out a bit chalky looking. It doesn't look Glossy, it turns out dull.

I have used various Wooster and Whizz 4-1/2" foam and nap rollers.

Old 05-24-20, 04:30 PM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
So I was confused, long day, my doors are exactly as yours, smooth finish.

I cant say anything about the paint, I always use Pratt Lambert, satin finish, and yes a 1/2" nap roller gives me a very nice light egg shell texture.

I would never use a roller less than standard 9", that way it covers in a single pass!

Old 05-25-20, 03:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
A 4" roller is ideal for panel doors, I'd only use a 9" roller on flush doors [no panels] As X stated you do not want to over work the paint. I don't recall ever using Solo but can highly recommend their ProClassic line.