How do I paint multi-colored designs on a plywood table?

Old 05-26-20, 07:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I paint multi-colored designs on a plywood table?

So i just finished building a folding beer die table out of 3/4 inch pre sanded plywood, and now I have 3 days to get it painted before a kickback. I looked up advice on how to paint plywood, but all the results I've gotten are for monochrome paint jobs. So, I wanted to know the process for painting a plywood table with multiple colors and designs on it, as well as what kinds of primer, paint and finish I should be using

Old 05-27-20, 02:16 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
First question, what is this going to be used for?

You could use latex paints but the finish would not hold up if items were placed on top, there are clear coats but I've never had an opportunity to try.

If it's going to be used like a table then a stain and varnish finish is best but that limits including designs!

Old 05-27-20, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Assuming you intend to use paint and not stain, I'd start with an oil base primer over the entire top. Once that's dry sand lightly and remove the dust. You'll then be able to start your design/colors. As noted above oil base paints are more durable than their latex counterparts but take longer to dry. It will be a challenge to get it finished [and the paint cured] in that short of a time frame.

Pilot Dane voted this post useful.
Old 05-27-20, 06:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
I'd start with a primer to seal the wood and provide a uniform base color. Having a nice white base to work from will help your succeeding colors pop without having to apply as many coats. Because of your tight time schedule you might have to stick to water based paints. Water based paints don't hold up well to water for long periods. So, use a coaster and clean up spills as soon as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: