Advice on painting wooden kitchen counter?

Old 06-01-20, 10:12 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on painting wooden kitchen counter?

Hi all!

I need to repaint my kitchen countertop, and have read some conflicting things in my research, so hoping someone has some advice for my specific situation.

Heres the deal:

- I have a rented apartment in NYC that has a lot of... quirks

- My current countertop is made of cheap wood, is an irregular shape, and has quite a few coats of paint already on it.

- My roommate repainted it after asking for advice at our local hardware store, but Im not sure exactly what paint he used or if/how he sealed it.

- Currently the paint is peeling/chipping and the surface takes on stains very easily (for example, if there is a hint of moisture on the counter and you set down a magazine, we have a new permanent stain)

I would like to do whatever is needed to make this counter functional, durable, and cleanable. Im by myself and kind of on a tight budget, but I have time to put in the work.

• how far down should I sand, especially since I only have my hands (no power sander) and considering the thickness of existing paint
  • Should I use primer? If so what kind?
  • Is there a specific kind of paint that is better to use? How many coats?
  • What kind of sealer is best for this? Really hoping for strength, water resistance, clarity (its white), and hopefully something as close to non-toxic as possible, since its the kitchen. How many coats?

I know this is a lot, so if you can answer ANY of these questions, Id greatly appreciate your help! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-20, 10:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
First off, since you are renting do you have the landlords permission to paint the countertop?

If I were to guess the top was previously painted with an oil base enamel and then repainted with latex. Latex paints don't adhere well to oil enamel. I'd sand off what I could and then apply a coat or two of oil base enamel. No need for a primer unless you expose a significant amount of bare wood.