Paint for Exterior Porch

Old 06-11-01, 08:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I've got a covered porch that wraps around my house, has a southern exposure, and is currently floored with tongue and grove wood.

I'm using the sikkens rubbol dek, solid body - colonial blue and was wondering what experiences anyone else has had with this product?

Any helpful tips in the prep? or application?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 06-14-01, 10:13 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Rob,

The Sikkens name rings a bell. Seems I remember they specialize in oil finishes, maybe a blend of oil/urethane. Maybe I'm wrong. Can you provide us/me with a website from the container?

I'll try on my own and see...

Sonnie

Old 06-14-01, 10:19 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Search for Sikkens did nothing, darned I seem to remember that name, maybe in marine finishes. At any rate depends on where the pigment is being held in the oil, or the clear coat. Either way, if it's urethane top coat it's a new one to me that would hold up to UV. On the other hand if it's held inside a spar varnish, it would make sense. Or even an oil, but that would be a transparent or semi trans. finish???

wish I could help more, someone will be along directly hopefully. meantime, I'm looking for the product.

sonnie

Old 06-15-01, 05:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Sikkens Site

Hi,

Here is the direct link for the paint company.

http://www.nam.sikkens.com/index2.html

This is the us link, if you scroll down to the bottom of the list, you'll see Rubbol DEK, that is the product I am using.

Thanks again for any insight!

Rob

Old 06-15-01, 05:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Additional Info

Sorry, I forgot to add, click products, then Product, Information - Alphabetical and locate: Rubbol DEK

Thanks,
Rob

Old 06-16-01, 11:43 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Rob,

Looked at the tech info they supplied. Their Cetol DEK seems to be a two stage process, base and finish coat but with both these products they specifically stated UV absorbers, with the Rubbol the term UV absorber is lacking. I'd ask the dealer if it's as resistant to UV wear as the Cetol. Also I don't understand why they'd rec using a nylon/poly brush to apply an oil/alkyd product.

Personally, I'd use a whizz roller to apply and brush out immediately with a natural bristle brush a couple of board widths at a time. To get less blockiness in finish, paint these few boards from begining to end and then start back at beginning of job painting a few more boards all the way to the end. That way you keep a wet edge going all the time.

As I remember, the marine finish I used of theirs was of very good quality, but I'd be interested to know the dif of the two products I mentioned for the reason mentioned.

good luck,
Sonnie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: