Painting over fibered aluminum roof paint

Old 06-29-20, 06:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting over fibered aluminum roof paint

I have previously painted my metal roof with Henry Fibered Aluminum Roof Coating. It is a good product but basically comes in two colors.

I haven't been able to find much on painting over this material. I would love to move to a more traditional paint - the fibered aluminum is a real bear to work with. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-20, 09:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
An oil base paint would adhere the best but might allow the asphalt in the roof coating to bleed into it. What color do you want to paint the roof? What is this roof on? Why do you think the fibered aluminum paint is a bear to work with?

Old 06-30-20, 08:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

This is a galvanized roof. Very old but in good shape and has been painted many times.

The fibered paint needs to be brushed on with a brush that resembles a broom. Its a hard job doing a whole roof, especially the parts with steeper pitches. And it is hard to be precise around the edges. It also seems to take forever to mix properly. I'd much rather work with a more standard type of paint.

My wife is also intent on having a green roof. Can't find the fibered paint in anything other than gray or white.

Old 06-30-20, 09:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
I put the fibered aluminum paint on with a roller, where I'm concerned with how it looks I'll run a brush over top of it. The old asbestos aluminum paint rolled on great but when they banned that and went to asphalt it made it not roll as nice.

I suspect you'd need to either use latex paint or apply a quick drying stain hiding primer before applying an oil base paint.