Paint or caulk first

Old 07-11-20, 08:48 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint or caulk first

Hi everyone. I had someone redo some of my kitchen but now we are going to paint. I had some questions about whether to paint or caulk first. See below with pics and questions

#1 - This is where my countertop meets the wall. Would you add a thin bead of white caulk before or after I paint the wall
#2 - This is where the trim on the floor meets the wall.
#3 - This is where the cabinets meet the wall. Long story but they had to be moved slighty. I already caulked them but I can remove the caulk if the community says paint first. Thanks everyone!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-20, 09:09 AM
M
Received 151 Votes on 138 Posts
1. After, if at all
2. I never calk the top of baseboards unless the gap is huge.
3. Depends on the type of calk, must be paintable. I normally do not calk here. Getting a nice straight paint line might be a bit of a challenge.

Old 07-11-20, 01:01 PM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
You never want to paint caulk, the caulk and paint will shrink at different ratios so it will eventually crack and look like crap.

Paint, then find a caulk, or custom mix, to match one or the other colors then put down the smallest bead humanly possible.

In the long run it will look the best!

Old 07-11-20, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Every professional painter caulks trim first, then paints it. Thats why painters caulk labels give directions on how long you need to wait before painting it. Yes, since the baseboard is painted not stained, it should be caulked to the wall then painted.

Old 07-11-20, 01:08 PM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
Sorry, disagree, worked for high end painting contractor (million dollar homes), you never paint caulk, it will look like crap after a few years!!

I go as far as mixing my own caulks to match paints so they are never painted!

Old 07-11-20, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
As our website rules state, give your own advice and let the member asking the question decide whose advice to accept. This is not a debate. I work in plenty of multi million dollar homes and have been in the industry for 30 years.

Old 07-12-20, 03:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
I've been painting professionally since the early 70s. I've painted cheap track homes and million dollar homes along with everything in between. The finish almost always looks better if the joints are caulked. Caulking normally looks better longer if it's painted. Unpainted caulks are prone to attract dirt.