Rig for spray painting wood doors

Old 08-02-20, 10:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rig for spray painting wood doors

I have a project requiring spray painting 15-20 solid wooden (8ft tall) panel doors (polyurethane). I was wondering if any of the DIY’ers on here had a good system for “holding” the door in a horizontal position and then turn it over (almost like a rotisserie) to spray the other side. I figure I may have to screw some hardware on the top and bottom edges.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-20, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
I have always stood them up bifold door style. Shim them up off the ground, tack the tops together with sticks, with all the doors in a long zigzag.

Old 08-02-20, 11:48 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, that is a great idea!! I am a novice with spray gun, and was a little worried about poly / paint running with doors vertical.

Old 08-02-20, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Many light coats are better than heavy coats. But yes, you need to guard against getting runs. If you do get runs, you are applying it too heavy.

Old 08-02-20, 12:20 PM
H
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
You can use an automatic garage door and some bungee cords to suspend things to paint them.

Place the door upright on a moving blanket or section of carpet just inside the garage.

Slide a short section of 2" sink drain through the doorknob hole. This disburses the weight and keeps the bungie from touching the door. (The part where the metal touches the inside of the doorknob hole will be hidden the by the doorknob hardware.)

Slip the bungie hooks over the steel handle you use to manually open the door. Hit "OPEN" and the garage door opener lifts the item to be painted off the ground and suspends it in the garage doorway.

Spray paint outwards towards the driveway. Use a mop handle to twist door 180 degrees and repeat.
Touch up the edges with a brush. Let dry. Reverse to gently drop the item back on the carpet.

Old 08-03-20, 02:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 271 Votes on 240 Posts
Like X I have always sprayed the doors standing up set in a domino like fashion. I've don't bother with the sticks tacked to the top, the little area where the doors touch is easy to touch up if needed. As noted two light coats are better than one heavy coat. The more you spray the more you'll get accustomed to where that sweet spot is.