Refinishing veneer coated dresser

Old 08-04-20, 03:22 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Refinishing veneer coated dresser

I am currently in the process of refinishing an old (40+ yrs.)bedroom set. But I have many questions before I proceed any further.
The current color of the set is blonde and I plan on staining it a dark color. I fear sanding through the veneer and making things worse. How do you know if you've sanded enough? I have sanded off enough to remove the shiny (varnish?) but there still appears to be the blond coloring in what looks like the wood grain? Does this need to be completely removed as well?
The furniture is no where near pristine condition (some of the veneer has chipped/broken off) but I'm not concerned about making this look new, so not planning on fixing the damaged parts.
Looking for any advice for this amateur! (I tried to upload some pictures, but they only load to 50% and then I receive a message that they couldn't be uploaded)

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-20, 04:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
Is your piece even stained at all or is it the wood's natural color you're seeing? You want to be careful when sanding a veneered piece. The veneer layer can be very thin but it's usually thicker on older pieces so that will work in your favor. I would chemically strip the finish off and only sand if needed.

There is a sticky at the top of each forum section with picture posting instructions. If you are trying to upload directly to this forum there is a size limit so don't just upload unedited photos from your phone. I prefer to use a photo hosting website then I post the link to the photo here using the picture icon. Then there is no forum size limit.

Old 08-04-20, 05:48 PM
M
Added pictures??

Thanks for your reply. Hope I haven't already done too much damage by not chemically removing the stain and sanding only? https://mxmom.imgur.com/all
I didn't realize that my images would need to be resized to add them to my original post (and I'm clueless on how to do that). So hope the "link" I've provided will show the pictures??
The picture of the dresser front (w/drawers installed) has not been sanded, only used to show the coloring. I have, however, sanded the top and sides. And that is what the close-ups are trying to show.

Last edited by mxmom; 08-04-20 at 05:52 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 08-05-20, 03:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Your link doesn't work

As long as you didn't sand thru the veneer you are probably ok. It's not too late to use a chemical stripper. Be sure to read the label as most need neutralizing after you get done. I'm not overly fond of gel stains but that might be your best bet. Tinted polys like MInwax's PolyShades is also an option but they can be tricky to apply.

Old 08-05-20, 07:08 AM
M
Thanks for your help. While I don't need the outcome of this project to be perfect, I certainly don't want to botch it either! I might check into using the chemical stripper (especially on the drawers that I haven't started on yet!)

Sorry the link didn't work....I'm semi computer challenged! I'll try linking them again.https://imgur.com/IwH4Wrd That one should show some of the blonde coloring still in the wood grain?
https://imgur.com/UjLxaNy This shows the chest of drawers that I'm starting with.
https://imgur.com/Jrw53sBThis shows the damaged veneer (located on the bottom of the chest of drawers towards the back). I'm not planning on fixing/repairing that as it doesn't really show where I have the chest sitting in the bedroom.
Thanks again for your suggestions! Really appreciated by this novice!

Old 08-05-20, 07:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
your links worked this time
My parents had a bed rm set the same color. I never cared much for it.
The last pic shows where the veneer was sanded/worn thru. I'd either leave it as is or use a filler and paint it. I'm assuming that is just a toe kick under the dresser.

Old 08-10-20, 06:09 PM
M
Well I finished with this project! While I probably should have gone the chemical stripping, I only sanded off the blonde coloring. There were some spots (mostly along the bottom just under the last drawer) that the stain didn't take too well. Not sure if it was due to over sanding or under sanding? But at least I've achieved my goal....it's not blonde anymore!lol

Old 08-11-20, 02:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks a lot nicer