Two Painting Questions, How to over paper and cloth wallpaper?

Old 06-13-01, 12:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would really like to change the cloth wall paper in the bathroom of my condo -- I checked twice, it really is fabric, bright red print! Can I paint over this, and wouldn't primer help as this is really a bright red, yellow and green floral pattern!!

Also, I have paper wallpaper in the kitchen, how should I prepare the wall (for the bathroom too) in order to paint over it, it is a light pattern, but I would probably prime as well so as not to have so many coats of paint.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-14-01, 05:20 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
In my experience, you can paint over the fabric. Make very sure it's still well adhered. Red is actually a weak colour and will cover easier than you think. Unless you're using yellow, which is also "weak". Prime first, always a good idea.

I have never painted over wallpaper. Never will. Just not a good idea in my thinking. Some have, maybe they'll contribute here. Best to get a scoring tool, some DIF wallpaper remover, follow all intstructions to remove not only the paper but the adhesive as well. Prime with the appropriate primer, all mfg's make a primer now for use over previously paper'd walls. You might want to add a texture at this point. Prime before and after the texture process, then finish coat.

good luck, I'm sure some other pro's here will have some good advice as well.

Sonnie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: