Getting Smooth Finish Over Chipped Paint

Old 09-17-20, 06:38 AM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Getting Smooth Finish Over Chipped Paint

I have the window trim in this pic that I want to repaint, but how do I get smooth paint surface over the chips? (It is under an over hang, so doesn't get direct rain if that figures in some way.)

Is there a particular spackle to smooth over the chips? Should I prime first? I've heard something about using binding primer, is this a good idea? I have already scraped and wire brushed--not sure if I have to do more?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-20, 07:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
You can scrape away all the paint. It's a huge job and why you see so many where they don't go for totally smooth. I wouldn't try filling in the low areas as you have as big or a bigger problem getting your filler to stick better than paint can. Then there is all the fussing and sanding to get a filler smooth. You also could try sanding but I find that difficult to get perfect as you also tend to sand wood at the edge of the paint which creates hills & valleys and since the wood never heals or grows back any wood you sand away is permenant damage.

Old 09-17-20, 07:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
While it's ok to use a filler over minor chips it's not a good idea over large areas. If sanding/scraping doesn't get it smooth enough for you - use a chemical stripper.

Old 09-17-20, 08:38 AM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
Once you start picking at what remains I'll bet much more will come off, there is no patching what you have, a big job ahead!

Old 09-17-20, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
You are going to want to prime the bare wood before painting anyway so since your goal is to smooth the surface somewhat, I would suggest you try this product by Rustoleum.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...-triple-thick/

While I do NOT agree with their concept of "painting right over peeling paint", the thick consistency of this primer will help fill in the differences in texture and will likely help glue down any loose edges you missed when scraping, assuming you apply it with a brush.

Old 09-17-20, 06:32 PM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to test the peel stop primer and see how it fares.