Wood Grain & Painting

Old 11-22-20, 08:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wood Grain & Painting

Hello,
I was hoping I could get some advice/suggestions from the forum members. Have some older kitchen cabinets that I will be repainting soon. They currently have a (heavier) oak grain and will be finished with a light color paint. Could anyone offer advise on how to HIDE the wood grain on these cabinets before refinishing them? My belief is that simply painting them will not be enough and the oak grain will be remain visible. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 11-22-20, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 777 Votes on 716 Posts
You need to sand them down, apply a wood grain filler, and then sand them some more.

Old 11-22-20, 08:53 AM
T
XSleeper thanks for responding so quickly and your advice. When you mention a wood grain filler. Are you referring to something similar/identical to wood filler that you would use for nail holes, damaged wood and similar or instead something more specialized for this task? I appreciate your suggestions and time.

Old 11-22-20, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 777 Votes on 716 Posts
No, this is specifically a grain filler, such as what you would use on cabinets. Here is one example.

Old 11-22-20, 09:01 AM
Received 425 Votes on 396 Posts
Google "wood grain filler" it's a thicker version of primer. A lot depends on how much grain you have, how much your trying to eliminate.

As a side note, painting cabinets can be a real challenge, do your homework in prep and absolutely don't cut corners in materials!

Old 11-22-20, 07:27 PM
T
Thanks all for the great suggestions. I will look into this option and proceed as mentioned for using the wood grain filler. Definitely think this will help eliminate most of the visible grain on the oak finish before the painting portion.

Old 11-25-20, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
i have used joint compound as grain filler. you need to sand the existing finish before applying the j/c. once dry sand off all the j/c except what remains in the grain

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: