Painting a metal railing

Old 06-18-01, 01:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I live in southern Arizona and have over 100 lineal feet of metal fence, the kind made of square steel tubing 6" on center, in need of repainting. The railing is probably 15 to 20 years old. Seven years ago the factory finish was fading and some rusting was taking place.....so I decided to repaint. I sanded the few rust areas, primed with Rustoleum and repainted with black Rustoleum. The finish remains sound but is again faded.

So now it's time for another repaint. I believe the Rustoleum has held up well considering the brutal hot sun to which it was exposed but.....this time I really would like to go to a water based paint for easy clean up as the job will probably take me a couple of weeks.....I don't work as fast as I used to and we only have a couple of hours in the morning before the heat and sun might affect the paint application.

A friend suggested Sherwin Williams "Duration" paint directly over the sound paint. There is a small amount of minor rusting which he indicated, in his opinion, did not need to be sanded and primed. I come from a time when solvent based paints were considered to be the only good exterior paints.....but I also realize there have been significant improvements in coatings so I'm seeking some suggestions and/or helpful hints as to which, if any, water based paints may be as good or better than the solvent based Rustoleum. Also what kind preparation should I expect for this aged but in good shape, faded black metal fence.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Opusita

Old 06-27-01, 07:08 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Opusita, I must say the Duration line of paint is a breakthrough and would be perfect for your project. It has the ability to bond to metal or oil paint, drys seven mills thick and has the flex it needs to stay on metal. The only thing I would do is spot prime the rusted areas with an oil primer.....Mike

Old 06-28-01, 01:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry Thanks Mike but .......

I had to get started this past weekend so I took the safe route and went with Rust-oleum over the old Rust-oleum. Boy I do hate the stuff.

BTW I did go to a SW store and talked to a salesperson who was less than knowledgeable and not very encouraging regarding Duration.......so prior to your post, I opted to not to try Latex over oil base.....darn it.

Thanks again

Opusita

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: