How to tape/mud outside drywall corner with wood

Old 01-15-21, 11:41 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to tape/mud outside drywall corner with wood

I am in the process of drywalling a backyard shed that will serve as a home gym. The shed came with pre-installed windows with wood trim that sits flush with the drywall. See attached photos. What would be the best way to finish taping and mudding these corners? Can I use a regular metal corner bead and mud over the wood? I don't want to put any trim around the windows, I'd like to have it look more modern. Thanks!

Old 01-15-21, 11:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
If you don't want casing, rip off the plywood and install drywall jambs. Then you will need tearaway l-bead against the glass and corner bead where it meets the wall. And IMO unless it never gets cold there, drywall jambs are a big mistake. And that's a lot of taping.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 01-16-21, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I agree, adding casing would be so much easier and likely look better longer. You could use a small molding instead of casing. You can't finish wood with joint compound and expect it to last so removing the wood and replacing with drywall is the only good option if you must have drywall returns.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-16-21, 05:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 782 Votes on 719 Posts
I'm a third. Molding around the windows would be the easiest way to handle that transition between materials. Sheetrocking/mudding against wood will likely crack which is why they suggested removing the plywood jambs.

Old 01-16-21, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 247 Posts
I also agree that casing would be the easiest. You can do a search for "modern casing" for some ideas.

If you still do not want casing you could install a tearaway bead between where the drywall meets the wood. You may have to cut the drywall a little with a knife. Just make sure to put a finish on the wood.

Old 01-17-21, 01:26 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: