Avoiding picture framing on walls using latex extender?

Old 01-26-21, 01:32 PM
C
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Avoiding picture framing on walls using latex extender?

Newb to painting, looking to paint a room. Watched a bunch of youtube videos and have seen mention of open time and picture framing.

I was thinking I'd do one wall at a time, starting with cutting in on all four edges, and then, to eliminate brush marks, go over this with a 4" roller (held ~1/4" away from edge). But given that I'm new, I'm surely going to move much more slowly than a pro painter, so I guess I risk some of the paint along the edges being dry by the time I roll the wall.

As a specific example, if I cut in one edge, roll it with a 4" roller, how much time do you have (for a quality paint like SW Duration) to roll that area with 9" roller and still have it blend in with no picture framing?

Does it make sense to use a latex extender such as M-1 for this application? Can I use it with primer as well?

Old 01-26-21, 01:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 782 Votes on 719 Posts
I do not use extenders. Instead of extenders I would focus more on purchasing a quality paint.

Last summer I repainted my living/dining/kitchen which is all one big room (11 gallons) and I had no trouble keeping a wet enough edge to avoid picture framing. I broke the area up into sections and would cut in one wall then paint it before moving on to another section. The trimming had dried to the touch before I rolled but it was still soft enough that the rolled paint blended in without leaving a mark.

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 01-26-21, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I rarely use any type of extender. The majority of times picture framing or hat banding is caused by insufficient coverage, especially if you are using flat paint. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you have an issue another coat of paint should solve it.

I've not used a lot of Duration, IMO their SuperPaint is a better value .... and maybe a tad easier to apply.

Old 01-26-21, 03:02 PM
C
I've not used a lot of Duration, IMO their SuperPaint is a better value .... and maybe a tad easier to apply.
My concern with SuperPaint is the lower sheens available are Flat and Velvet per https://images.sherwin-williams.com/...loss-guide.pdf

I don't want to go Flat because I'd like to have a more easily cleaned wall. But Velvet (notch up from Eggshell) seems like it might be too much sheen for home office walls? Duration has an in-between option of Matte, so I figured that would give me some cleanability without much sheen. But I'm just going off what I've read, not real life experience with these products.

Old 01-26-21, 04:36 PM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
Paint doesn't dry instantly, I cut in the entire room, roll it out wait till dry (approx 90 min), cut in and roll second coat.

Velvet (Pratt & Lambert) is all I have ever used for the last 30 years. Repainting the house this winter and this paint is flawless!

Two coats, first coat is color, get it all covered, second coat is finish, smooth wet coats floor to ceiling side to side!

Paint is one item you absolutely get what you pay for!

Old 01-26-21, 08:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Cut with a brush and then roll - there's no need for the 4" roller.

Old 01-27-21, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A 4" roller seems to help for those with poor brushing skills.
IMO the velvet sheen isn't a big deal. There will be a sheen but by the time furniture, pictures and curtains are in place it's a lot less noticeable. I'm not trying to say Duration isn't good paint but rather IMO it's overpriced.

Old 01-29-21, 07:55 AM
C
Alright, I'll go with SW Premium Wall & Wood Primer and SW Superpaint Velvet for the walls.

What about ceiling? Can I use Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer for the ceiling? Any flat paints at HD that would be fine for the ceiling or should I go with SW Eminence?

Old 01-29-21, 09:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Most any primer and most any flat white paint is fine for ceilings, it's not like they will be washed or see any wear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: