painting kitchen light fixture

Old 06-20-01, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am having my kitchen remodeled and bought two ceiling fixtures--one for over my island and one for over my kitchen table. The problem is this...they are the wrong color. They are what the manufacturer calls rust but in actuality they are a smooth metal in dark brown with a little bit of pink in the coloring. I want them to be black with a little bit of a stainless steel accent color.

So here's my thought. I bought automobile primer for the stainless steel color and textured black paint. I'm thinking of spraying black over the primer and maybe wiping a little bit so the primer color shows through. WILL THIS WORK???

Part 2 of the question: Since it is a light fixture and may get a little bit hot, should I spray a protective clear coat on it before I hang them?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Old 06-20-01, 08:37 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Sounds good to me, the heat shouldn't be a problem. Try a sample board (or something else) to try out the effect first of course.

Now that I've said that, your nickname scastle leads me to believe that you may be interested in sand castles? I'm intrigued, as I make a point to build one wherever I travel. That's global, by the way. It's kinda like music, kids the world over (and their parents if so inclined) love to get involved in especially the "finishing" process.

But back to the subject, sounds like you may be after an antiqued pewter rather than rust finish?? Still, the spray cans will do just fine. Since they're new, no fancy cleaning will be needed.

good luck
Sonnie
http://www.sonnielayne.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: