Staining my deck - estimate on job time? Method?

Old 04-07-21, 10:03 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining my deck - estimate on job time? Method?

We have a 30 year old deck made of redwood. last stained with semi solid latex stain in 2014. We didn't like seimi solid (had been semi transparent). Thought it would wear off.

Anyway, need to stain it for a party at end of may.

talking to pros, one talked of power wash then sand the whole deck (there is some raised grain from power washing / age). Seems weird - blowing off the sanding dust would be enough? he said power wash before sanding.

See attached sketch. not counting the railing / spindles, it's about 800 square feet for deck, steps and seats.

a) would you sand most all of the deck? raised grain areas?
b) What would you use for that?
c) would you power wash first or after sanding?
d) Any recommendation on how many job hours it would take me to power wash, (sand?), and 2 coats of latex stain? I've never done this before.
e) When I did a jungle gym years ago, I took a rag and wiped it on to get into nooks & crannies. Is that a valid way vs. rolling / brushing?
f) the picture of the seat... that board with the blue arrrow. I always liked this one - no grain on top. you can see it was cut different than the other pieces. Is that anything unusual? I'd love if the whole deck was like that?! no roughness!

THANK YOU!

Old 04-07-21, 10:57 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
Check the deck forum, there is a current thread on same!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/d...ook-great.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: