Mud seam shows through paint..

Old 05-05-21, 07:34 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mud seam shows through paint..

I just finished painting and I have a 6 foot hallway wall that still shows about an 8" mud seam. I primed the wall and also put on 2 coats of eggshell paint but the the mud seam still seems to be shinier than the paint on the wall. It has to be right on the hallway wall where the light comes in and you notice it every time you walk in. Is it because the drywall guys didn't sand it enough or could it be because I didn't have enough primer over the mud. Any ideas how I can get rid of this shiny mud seam showing through, the rest of the wall looks great...

Old 05-05-21, 08:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
It's doubtful it's the paint.
Either the joint wasn't feathered out enough or wasn't sanded correctly. The fix would be to scuff sand your paint and then add mud spreading it out further from the joint.

Have tried contacting your finisher to see if he'd come out and fix it?

Old 05-05-21, 09:01 AM
Received 537 Votes on 497 Posts
take a flashlight and shine it up/down the wall, if the joint is high or low and if you see a shadow that indicates that it's the joint and not the paint!

Old 05-05-21, 09:46 AM
If it's the shine that catches your eye then you'll need mud it again using a quick dry mud that's lightweight you can mud over your paint. but if its the high or a low point just get you a wider mud knife and level it out and sand it flat if you use quick drying mud and lightweight mud it won't take that much time to finish so you can paint it and finish it up

Old 05-05-21, 09:49 AM
sorry if its the shine use a flat paint first then a semi gloss or egg shell

Old 05-05-21, 11:31 AM
G
Dry wall guy is on another job further away, can't get here for another 2 weeks. I'll scuff up the paint and skim coat it with a 10" mud knife to feather it out wider, looks like the joint is a little high. I'll put a few coats of primer on it afterwards to make sure it's sealed good and then re-paint the wall and see what that looks like. I'll keep you posted, thanks....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: