Best Way to Paint Wall Red

Old 06-26-01, 08:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We just moved into a new house with a great looking 13'h x 10'w wall painted Chinese Red in semigloss. The only problem was the paint showed some lap lines etc. So.....thinking of the work involved to repaint the entire wall with a difficult color like red, I got the great idea to add texture to hide the defects. Went to the Benjamin Moore dealer and ended up with two McClosky products. Porcelain Crackle and Pickling. Was told that a base coat was not needed over the Behr Semi Gloss (can in the garage). Washed down the wall thoroughly with (very) weak Dawn detergent/water mixture (less than .5tsp Dawn to quart of water). Dried completely. Applied porcelain crackle glaze with sponge brush using long vertical stroke. Waited for crackle. Nothing. Ended up with about a dozen white "crackle" spots on red wall. Looks like h--. Let cure for 6 hours. Tried some of the pickle. Brought out the crackle in spots but also turned the wall rose.

We have now sanded and primed the wall white. Third mistake. Should have tinted primer 50%. I want to repaint the wall red. Looking at Ralph Lauren Anthem color chip for base coat. Want to color wash or suede with Ralph Lauren Relay color. How many coats of red, what brand paint, what tool is best and which glaze to mix with RL relay red and what proportion? I plan to brush the glaze on in x's then soften with cheese cloth.
HELP!

Old 06-27-01, 07:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Red Paint Blunder

Good question...I have no idea. I'd be really frustrated if that happened to me.

Deadbeat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: