Mask slight paint color change at corner?

Old 11-10-21, 04:32 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mask slight paint color change at corner?

I've started to do some touch ups around my place that really hasn't gone under any changes or maintenance beyond general cleaning for the past 15 years or so. The motivation is potentially for listing and sale.

I have long narrow entryway that over the years received many scuff marks from bringing things in and out so I decided to paint over it. The paint is the same Benjamin Moore type and code, but a revision was made to the color code in 2012 (per the label). The left side was painted about 20 hours ago. The right side is the original paint coat from 2004/2005 so without question before the mix revision.

This entryway leads into a living room with the same paint color. But I'd be willing to repaint all the walls in the living room except for one. That particular wall has a lot of AV equipment and cables. I'd strongly prefer not undoing all the cable management and having to redo all of it.

I thought about extending the paint in the image I shared all the way down to the corner of the living room and stopping there. The adjoining wall on that corner is about 40-50% sliding glass door window. There's still going to be a good 3 feet of wall space from the corner to where the window starts.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this transition? I'm sure it would be noticeable if you looked for it, but just to the casual glance, maybe not so much? I had been hoping the shadows would help mask just the entryway part but I would say it's quite noticeable. Where I had broken the paint line, the opposite wall ends and the space just opens up.

Last edited by GreenPride32; 11-10-21 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo

Top Answer

11-10-21, 11:03 PM
stickshift
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Changes in color blend better if a change in plane occurs, like a corner.

Old 11-10-21, 11:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Changes in color blend better if a change in plane occurs, like a corner.

kathann, marksr voted this post useful.
Old 11-11-21, 12:01 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You can do what ever you want but for appearance the entire wall will need to be painted, only painting half a wall will be very noticable.

Old 11-11-21, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Even if you had the original paint the odds are any touch up or partial paint job would show on walls that were painted 15 yrs ago. The paint on the wall will have subtle color changes over the yrs due to the environment. As noted anytime you have an older paint job and especially when the paint isn't from the same batch it's best to paint all the way to the corner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: