Ceder Exterior Shingles

Old 06-28-01, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I live in a 55 year old house. The exterior is covered by 3/4 inch ceder shingles. The previous owner painted the shingles with a latex paint. The paint is currently peeling and blistering. I would like to restore the shingles. What do I use to get the paint off ? What is the most effective way ? I was tinking of a power washer but, I am afraid it will split the shingles. Do I use a chemical stripper? Very time consuming. After I get the paint off do I need to treat the shingles ? Do I use an oil stain to paint them ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[Edited by pooh on 06-28-01 at 02:32]

Old 06-28-01, 07:47 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
pooh, If you are careful and don't get to close using a wide angle tip a washer would be your best bet. If renting don't let the rental person advise a zero degree tip because it will really strip. These tips can split wood. Whether you use an oil stain or paint depends on the look you want. A good solid body oil stain goes straight on(2 coats best if a lot of raw siding) and paint goes on after a coat of oil based exterior primer....Mike

Old 07-04-01, 04:29 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
Stripping latex paint from cedar

I agree that power washing cedar could possibly damage the wood. Use the PEEL AWAY 7 product to remove the latex paint. It will do your job very easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: