California Paint

Old 06-28-01, 09:42 PM
Doreenm
Visiting Guest
I have to paint my house and a friend suggested California Paint. How does this stack up against other brands? All thoughts are welcome as I have never painted a house before.
Also - the house currently has latex paint on it. I'll need to scrape in some areas. What kind of primer should I use?

Old 06-29-01, 05:05 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Doreenm, From what I gather California Paints are made by Vista. Don't know who they are but would have to be careful in choosing because of that. Unless the price made it worthwhile and a dealer known to me would redo work(labor and material) I would go with a known paint line. One more tidbit, California(Vista) has been in court(Supreme) for violating the clean air act for VOC's in California since 1996. They have been fined over a million dollars which half of that is for not producing production data to the court. Imagine marketing a paint for a state as strict as California as California Paint and then cheating on the chemical composition. I'm not impressed. They may have great paint but I won't be finding out on my house! Remove all loose paint and spot prime raw areas or all over if needed with an oil primer and topcoat with paint of your choice...Mike

Old 06-29-01, 07:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Not sure if it is the same paint, but Consumer Reports rates "California Premium Velvet Acrylic" paint highest in its exterior paint ratings as "best overall choice". They advise that "Despite its name, this brand is available mainly in the Northeast." I have never heard of it and have not found it in the South. Good luck with your selection.

Old 06-29-01, 05:07 PM
Doreenm
Visiting Guest
Well then....

How about Devoe paint. I've just been told that they are as good as California Paint.

Does anyone have any info on it?

Old 06-29-01, 06:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Devoe is a notable brand name, but I have never used it. Since my judgement was obviously flawed with my hasty selection (Sherwin-Williams) for my last exterior paint job, this time I am relying on test results.

Not that CR is the definitive authority, but their data is the most comprehensive that I have found. They are now in year 3 of a 5 year test in which they are aging painted materials in yards in NY and Fla. They rate the performance within 3 exterior color groups (white, blue, brown) and by the type of finish. Although the California Paint is tops so far in all categories, Glidden Dulux Endurance, Glidden Spred Dura, and Pratt & Lambert's Accolade are the next best performers in most categories. I think I'm going to use the Glidden SD gloss in white for my trim and the Pratt & Lambert eggshell finish (based on CR's results in the brown color group) for our 2nd floor's exterior walls. I feel like I'm being so anal about my paint selection, but you should see the peeling and blistering mess I have. Speaking of which, I need to do a posting myself to get some tips on removal and prep work, specifically sanding.

If you're interested in seeing CR's report on this, it's in their June 2001 magazine or you can order reports (for a fee) from their websight.

Old 06-29-01, 09:26 PM
Doreenm
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help and good luck with your task!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: