Painting over paneling

Old 07-05-01, 05:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Help please!!!!I am interested in painting over some old paneling. It is of a light wood color, with black seperation grooves. My questions are:
Do I use joint compound to fill in the grooves?
Is there a special kind of primer that I should use?

Thanks,

Tabseiu

Old 07-06-01, 09:21 AM
Visiting Guest
painting over paneling

Hi tab.. I have done it but still need help.. I have spackled the seems and dark stripes then sanded, used latex chaulk then kilz or stain block and I still get the cracks in the joints that show up about 6 mos after painting or less depended on the room.. I am hoping someone on here can tell me what to do short of covering the whole mess with sheetrock and starting over.. I have that yellowish/pale birch paneling with the dark brown stripes.. made by Georgia Pacific in the early 70's .. with time it had darkened and looked awful, hence my attempt to paint it. I hope we can find some answers.. as a last attempt I filled all the grooves with sheet rock mud sanded all flat and put up a good grade of wallpaper.. most of it covered, but unfortunetly some of the cracks between sheets of paneling show through the paper and have in one or two place split the paper along the crack.. I am really at my wits end about what to try next

Old 07-10-01, 09:34 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
I painted mine w/o bothering to fill the stripes and seams. Washing the walls w/TSP should help the paint stick better. If you want to fill in the stripes and seams, then drywall compound should work. The cracks and splits are probably happening because the panels aren't fully secured. You can try screwing them down, instead of the nailing to see if that helps.

Old 07-10-01, 09:44 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
I painted mine w/o bothering to fill the stripes and seams. Washing the walls w/TSP should help the paint stick better. If you want to fill in the stripes and seams, then drywall compound should work. The cracks and splits are probably happening because the panels aren't fully secured. You can try screwing them down, instead of the nailing to see if that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: