Paint over stain?

Old 07-05-01, 06:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have 2 decks, 1 is in the sun and about 5 years old. The other is about 15 years and in the shade. They are both stained. Is it possible to Paint over stain. It has been 2 years since either of the decks have been re-stained? Thanks
Cherri

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-01, 06:55 AM
Visiting Guest
paint over stain

Yes, you can paint over stain, provided the deck is clean and dry. Deck preparation is the important thing. However, I would not advise you to paint a deck. A painted deck will chip and peel after a year or two because water will get into cracks in the wood causing degradation of the film and added to that is the natural weathering process by the sun. After a year or two, you will have a deck that looks bad and can not be stained unless you take all of the paint off and that is a lot of work. You could repaint it but it will look like a repainted deck with all of the scraped spots looking like'scraped spots'. You are better off restaining your deck every few years. That way you will always have a deck that looks uniform in color.

Old 07-05-01, 12:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Take it from me, my deck is a big hassle. I just bought a home with a painted deck. We wanted to remove all the paint to stain it with no luck. It is almost an impossible job. The stain would be alot less trouble and look alot better. We ended up repainting and as the last poster said it looks repainted.

Old 07-05-01, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To add a little more insight, I would not even recommend a solid color stain for an exterior deck. I tried one of those a couple years ago, and it also peeled. I've been removing it the past two days. NOT FUN. Now I've done enough research and learned that a penetrating stain with UV protection is the best way to go.
fred

Old 07-05-01, 03:25 PM
Visiting Guest
If you go the penetrating stain route which would be a good one, try to find one that has transoxide pigments in it. It may be listed on the can. Transoxide pigments are very small and penetrate into the wood well and last longer then stains with just pigment. UV absorbers are good too.

Old 07-08-01, 09:16 AM
cecgiv
Visiting Guest
paint over stain

Flood has a Solid Color Deck and Siding stain that has a five year guarantee against peeling on decks. It has a primer built into the finish, and you can apply it over old stains, as long as you clean the deck up first.

Old 07-08-01, 10:12 AM
Horizontal surfaces will not hold a solid color deck stain no matter what the mfg. says. Film based finishes on exterior wood will peel due to the absorption of moisture through the bottom of the boards which are not, or it is impossible to apply the finish to.

Old 07-09-01, 06:48 AM
cecgiv
Visiting Guest
Paint over stain

I agree that many solid color stains will peel on horizontal surfaces, but you might want to check the technology of that Flood product which has a penetrating oil primer already mixed in the coating that ensures bonding of the latex acrylic to the surface. As long as it is put on a dry surface to start with, moisture from underneath over the years isn't going to cause it to peel because it isn't a true film.

Old 07-09-01, 07:28 AM
cecgiv,
I'm sorry, but any product which contains a latex or acrylic is definitely a film type finish. And any finish of this type will eventually peel due to water absorption from underneath. If all six sides of the wood could be covered it may last longer, but this is usually not the case. I do like some of the Flood products, but a solid color finish will need considerable work down the road, whether it be just two years or maybe five.