Painting galvanized steel deck

Old 08-07-22, 01:35 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Painting galvanized steel deck

Seeking advice. What type of paint can I use on a steel beam and a galvanized steel deck? The beam and deck are 13 years old supporting a second-story balcony. Some surface rust nothing horrible. For the surface rust I am using a nylon brush on a power drill (easy work). Quite a bit of oxidation (white powder) which comes off fairly easily with white vinegar. From what I have read online I should be using an acrylic paint. Does this sound right? A Rustoleum product? Need to prime first? Looking to paint a flat or semi-gloss black. Thanks in advance for any recommendations on process and paint brand/type selection.

Last edited by cfodps; 08-07-22 at 01:36 PM. Reason: adding photo
Old 08-08-22, 02:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Latex paints often adhere better to galvanized than oil base does but any rusty steel should have an solvent based primer applied first. I'd be inclined to prime the entire surface with oil base and then when dry apply a latex finish.

If I was to try and finish with just 1 coat I'd probably spray it with an oil base flat black. Should wear ok since it's not exposed to the elements.

Old 08-08-22, 05:48 AM
C
Thank you Mark. Any concerns of an oil base not adhering properly? From what I have read online the galvanized steel has a coating that oil paints don't adhere to very good, and over time the paint may peel away. It's been 13 years so I'm sure some of the protective coating has worn off. Wiping it down with white vinegar to remove an coating might help.

Old 08-08-22, 05:56 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
They make specialized paints and primers for galvanized metal, I've never had the need to paint galvanized metal but would probably do some research.

Old 08-08-22, 05:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
The peeling is more of a concern with thin galvanized metal [sheet metal] Since that galvanized is thick and not flexible - oil paint should do fine.

Old 08-08-22, 06:48 AM
C
Great! Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: