Painting old house exterior -- help with trim

Old 08-29-22, 08:32 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Painting old house exterior -- help with trim

Hi folks -- I'm getting ready to paint my exterior on my old house from this pale yellow to a medium green, and need to pick a trim color. I'm thinking of looking at it two ways: a "white" that actually has a tint of the siding color but that still looks "white", and a complimentary but very pale cream color. Open to thought on both approaches, and also any advice on how much to "tint" the white for that approach. thx as always!

Old 08-29-22, 09:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
There are programs online where you can upload digital photos and manipulate the colors until you find the combination you like.

Old 08-29-22, 09:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree with the above. You can also take a pic to your local paint store [not paint dept] and they can help you with their software.

While I don't recall having done so on exterior paint jobs I've done a number of interiors where the trim [or walls] would be quarter tint of the darker color.

Old 08-29-22, 11:37 AM
G
excellent thanks both!

Old 08-29-22, 12:48 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Two thoughts -
First, get all the paint at one time so it matches, (how are you applying?- we've actually had good results with T-11, plaster, 1940s hardy board, and 1970s applique brick) Exterior T-11 & plaster were painting contractor using spray guns; interior hardy & brick was me using (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun from 5-hp 60-gallon air compressor.

Second, you can check with a local Realtor or architectural library books to get ideas about color combinations. As a Realtor, I know I can search for type of house by architecture - e.g. Victorian or Greek-revivaland get a list of recent sales - some of them are excellent references for paint schemes.

Could also check
The Athenæum of Philadelphia – THE ATHENÆUM OF PHILADELPHIA
https://philaathenaeum.org/

Last edited by Hal_S; 08-29-22 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-06-22, 04:44 AM
G
thx and one more

one more question - what sheen should I use on the trim -- there's a whole list from low luster to gloss and a couple in between. I think I want some kind of sheen. thx again!

Old 09-06-22, 04:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've always liked the trim to be one sheen up from the body. Flat paint on siding - satin on trim, satin on siding - semi-gloss on trim. Paints with a sheen don't tend to get dirty as quick as flat paints but the more sheen the paint has the more it could highlight any defects in the substrate. Some will paint it all with the same sheen - no right or wrong answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: