Removing old carpet before or after removal of popcorn ceiling

Old 09-29-22, 07:15 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing old carpet before or after removal of popcorn ceiling

Which do you guys advise I'm getting the popcorn ceiling removed should I remove the old carpet first or after the ceiling has been smooth and painted

Old 09-29-22, 07:44 AM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
It's going to be a big mess either way, especially if you (or contractor) will be using water to soften the popcorn for removal. Leaving it down has the advantage that you can just roll it up with the mess inside and get rid of it that way. But if water will be used, the carpet will allow the water to seep through and possibly damage the subfloor. In that case I'd probably remove the carpet and put down plastic first and cover that with cloth drop cloths.

Old 09-29-22, 11:51 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
If it was me, I'd remove it first. A lot easier to move a ladder around and sweep than trying to slide things across a carpet. Besides removing after the ceiling will throw up dust and why would you want that after a nice new painted ceiling?

Old 09-29-22, 12:42 PM
W
Contractors may be using those those new machines that's sort of sand and suck in the dust.
also, after the carpet is removed I will be laying hardwood floors also I am putting recessed lighting in im confused if I should do that first before the popcorn ceiling or after I feel like afterwards will they have a hard time painting but then if they need to make holes anywhere for the wiring they're doing that on a freshly painted ceiling so I'm not sure which to do for that either

Old 09-29-22, 02:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
IMO it's best to install the lights after the popcorn is removed and before the ceiling is painted.
I'd remove the carpet first, I'm not convinced it will add much time to the cleanup. While water is coming used to aid in the popcorn removal it's not like you have a water hose in there and pump up garden spray can direct most of the water to the ceiling where it gets absorbed by the texture. I'd rather work over a floor I can sweep than carpet that has wet texture all over it.

Old 09-29-22, 02:52 PM
W
No water is being used ! It's a machine that sands and vacuums it
Problem is the people that are remove the popcorn celing are the ones that are painting it

Old 09-29-22, 02:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never seen a machine like that used for popcorn ceilings ..... but if it works. It shouldn't make much of mess.
Can't the painters be scheduled to remove the texture one day and then come back after the electrician is done? I've done so on more than one occasion.

Old 09-29-22, 02:59 PM
W
I ll ask them
what u thinking just leave the recessed lights hanging and then clip them in once they are done painting

Old 09-30-22, 02:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The can lights I'm familiar with have a ring that can hang down, it's easiest to leave the trim ring hanging, paint and then push them up once the paint as dried.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: