Sanded and sanded again!

Old 07-07-01, 10:32 AM
Doreenm
Visiting Guest
I've scraped the old split bubbled and peeling paint. Used a Mikita 5" sander and feathered the edges as well as removed any other loose paint. Now, after a day or two of waiting for it to dry out after heavy rain, the edges have curled and peeled again! I'll have to sand the same area AGAIN! Am I doing something wrong?

Old 07-07-01, 02:57 PM
Visiting Guest
I have to ask the obvious but it is a common problem... Latex over Oil??? Most contemporary homes have been painted using only latex paints. But, still older homes and problem areas are often painted with a solvent based paint, read oil base. Latex based paints will not bond properly over oil unless primed with an adherant of some kind. They actually make special primers for this purpose. If your not sure try using an oil based paint or try priming first. The other problem is the type of wood. If the your painting over treated lumber it is really going to be difficult to get it to dry out completely. Here again if your painting over treated lumber, be sure it is bone dry and prime first. Are you havin fun yet?

Old 07-07-01, 07:50 PM
Doreenm
Visiting Guest
The wood is cedar shingles and it's not treated. Now I'm really confused. I was told at the paint store to use a Latex California Paint and their primer which is oil based.
Are you saying this is bad? I'm so confused....

Old 07-08-01, 11:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Fun with paint

I've never heard of Calfornia Latex paint. But being here on the east go figure... If the paint store said do it, then I guess they know what two paints will bond together. That being said I'd ask again for the proverbal second opinion. Without actually seeing the labels I can't say for sure. There have been a lot of developments with plastics and binding agents that may enable the "Calfornia Latex" to adhere to an oil base primer. Regardless, your primer shouldn't be bubbling. If your cedar shingles were painted before chances are it was a stain and chances are it was an oil. And even if there weren't your primer shouldn't have any difficulties bonding. If it does take it back and declare..."Cheap Paint *&%$@ won't stick... I want a refund!"

Old 07-08-01, 02:11 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Doreenm, Did you have primer on the areas that peeled? It is fine to put latex paint over oil primer....Mike

Old 07-15-01, 06:14 AM
Doreenm
Visiting Guest
Mike,

I have so many layers of paint on the house that it's hard to tell. I can see blue, green, red, white and teal colors when sanding and I'm not sure that the white is primer in all areas. Some areas did not have any primer - it looks like they were just touch up spots.

The worst bubbling and peeling is under the ends and the thickest areas. Also in spots around the dampest areas of the house.

I started to put the primer on yesterday. It soaked in so much in some spots - do I need to do two coats? Please say no...I hate ladders!

Thanks for the answer - Latex over oil OK! (Whew!)

Doreen (will live to finish this?) M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: