Quick fix for yellowing cabinets????

Old 07-07-01, 10:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

In May of 1999 I painted my kitchen cabinets with a flat interior paint. Yes, I realize that was a big mistake now. At the time I had no clue, I had never painted anything in my life, besides my finger nails!:O) Well, shortly after I painted them they started chipping. So, I figured I'd put a clear satin finish on them. Well, now they look terrible. They have yellowed because of the finish I put on them and I'm wondering if there is a quick fix to my problem? I spent so very long painting them and all, I'd hate to have to start over from the beginning! Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-01, 10:54 AM
BSB
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
only choice I can think of is to strip em down to the wood and start over. Adding more paint may end up making this job bigger then you want it to be. Then prime and paint again.

Brian

Old 07-12-01, 07:55 PM
Heathyr,
This is worth a try before you start all over again. Try cleaning them with some TSP first. Then sand lightly, wipe off any dust, and apply the gloss or semi-gloss paint of your choice.
fred

Old 07-12-01, 08:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb TSP

Thanks Fred! However, I have not a clue as to what TSP is. Probably something really obvious, huh? Anyhow, I'm going to give it a try.(as soon as I find out what that stuff is) I spent so long preparing them and painting them that I'm willing to try anything, other than starting all over!

:O)Heathyr

Old 07-13-01, 12:39 AM
T
Repaint with a waterbased gloss{non yellowing)

Old 07-13-01, 04:42 AM
Hi Heathyr,
TSP is short for trisodium phosphate. You can find it a Lowes or HD or a good hardware store. Read the precautions and follow the label. There are even stronger chemicals available, but the TSP will remove any kitchen greases which may have adhered to the cabinets. Most all paints these days are non-yellowing, it must have been your clear coat which either yellowed or affected the paint.
good luck,
fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: