How can I fix this spot on a semi-gloss door?

Old 10-27-22, 01:51 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I fix this spot on a semi-gloss door?

Hello community! A contractor did a not so great job on a door. I have this area left to fix. There is 1-coat of Behr Marquee semi-gloss paint and primer on it (covering 2 coats of old flat paint).

Can I simply add some paint to this area to cover it up? Do I need to lightly sand it first? I read somewhere if get to it within a couple days of painting you can do another coat without sanding as the paint hasnít fully cured yet. Most of this part of the door is good except for this area.

They sprayed the door and it is pretty even in most areas. What brush should I use to ensure I donít get brush strokes? Thank you.

Last edited by JaredSD; 10-27-22 at 02:07 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-27-22, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I assume that is a panel door. I'd scuff sand with 220 just the portion below the doorknob encompassing the bad spot. I'd thin the paint ever so slightly and brush that portion of the door [from knob to bottom] If you don't feel comfortable using a brush you could use a mini roller.

Any special reason not to call the contractor and have him come back and fix his error?

Old 10-27-22, 03:00 PM
J
marksr

I donít trust them to do it right as this wasít the only area they messed up. This is just the area I think I canít live with.

This area in particular is above the doorknob. It seems to be one large panel all the way around.

Old 10-27-22, 03:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
might be the pic but the whole door looks splotchy to me, I'd scuff sand and repaint all the flats.

Old 10-27-22, 03:54 PM
J
marksr You arenít wrong. They werenít very even in their execution of this.

Old 10-27-22, 04:25 PM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
First off the paint is not of the highest quality, read some posts on this site.

If trying to "touch up" anything less than a full panel is going to stand out, a brush will lay down a completely different texture that again will stand out.

Spraying puts down a very smooth texture free coat of paint, the only thing that will come close is a foam roller, anything with a nap will leave a rough texture compared to spraying.

Your kind of stuck, anything you do is not going to turn out great, repainting the entire door, with a "high quality" paint is probably best option!

Old 10-27-22, 05:04 PM
J
Marq1

what would you consider a high quality exterior semi-gloss paint?

I am sure this isnít the highest, but I do think this poor-ish job was due to operator error. I shouldnít be seeing the motions they made with a spray gun and also shouldnít be seeing paint drips. I hired a company to install these doors, which they did a great of that, and this guy is part of their crew. It would probably be best for me to hire a well-known company to do the painting part of this. Hopefully they can work with what has been done.

Old 10-28-22, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Big box stores generally stock coatings based more on low price than quality. I have limited experience with Behr coatings. If you already have enough to do the job, I'd continue with it. Thinning the paint slightly will reduce roller stipple or brush marks. Products like Flood's Floetrol or XIM's extender slow the paint's drying time down allowing it to 'flow' together better.

Dedicated paint stores sell better paint although they also have cheap paint. You want their mid line or better! Their help is usually more knowledgeable too.

It might be difficult to get a company to take on a small job although often one of their employees will.

Old 10-28-22, 06:04 AM
Pratt Lambert and BenjamŪn Moore are at the top and the only material I ever use.

I would also stay away from semi gloss for anything, that is so 70's.

Old 10-28-22, 06:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've used P&L coatings it's not been often enough for me to be knowledgeable about their coating line. I do know that while BM has some great coatings, like most paint manufactures they also sell some bargain basement crap paint.

Old 10-28-22, 12:28 PM
J
I suppose the comment about semi-gloss being 70ís is opinion, of course. I think it looks fantastic and there are some pros regarding using semi-gloss for sure. Most door painters I have chatted with do recommend using it as well as it cleans easy, but not good for touch ups.

Old 10-28-22, 04:30 PM
At least we were not referencing Gloss, OMG that was what the 60's?

Currently the trend is velvets/satins, and every variation under the sun to describe that sheen!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: