Tray redesign and refinishing

Old 12-28-22, 03:59 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Tray redesign and refinishing

Hi at all.

Sometimes I like to get a little creative , so I was in search for an online community to share some ideas. Unfortunately my country hasn't much going for this kind of stuff and the few communities that exist are filled with very small groups of people who limit there ideas and are way more solution focused than creative and talkative.

Well, to cut a long story short.. Today I was gifted an old meal tray, because I like it. But it was used as a dog bowl the last months.

Because it was really rusty (and/or dirty..didn't know before), I disinfected it very, very thorough, scrubbed it, dried it with a towel an spirit, scrubbed it again with orange oil concentrate, and after that, scrubbed it again with WD40. The last step and my continous scrubbing unfortunately led to even more scratches within the paint.

Right now I'm think-tanking and brainstorming with myself on what to do with it, so I don't have to dispose it.

I was thinking about repainting it, or make it a board or a table, use some acrylic.. I just KNOW there has to be something, but can't get it structured.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
TJay96

Old 12-28-22, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Click on edit and edit your post.

Tjay96 voted this post useful.
Old 12-28-22, 04:15 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJmax. That was a lot of struggle..

My intention was to edit it, but when I clicked on "Go Advanced", I got a different error message from vBulletin.

Now it worked, but I still wasn't able to attach the picture.

Let's try again:

Old 12-28-22, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread to the painting forum before you posted the picture. No problems.
This is a good place for the thread.
That's a very ornate tray. In pristine shape it would probably be worth a lot of money.

I was going to recommend sanding and repainting the tray before I saw the picture.
That's not recommended without losing the entire design.
Not really sure what you can do now.

You may end up just clear coating it.

Old 12-29-22, 02:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Clear coat is my thought also. You can find a rattle can of clear at your local auto parts store. You do need to clean off ALL of the oil first! Minerals spirits would work well for that, use a clean rag and fold or change often.

Old 12-29-22, 05:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Since you have used orange oil and WD-40 you need to do a very thorough degreasing before applying a clear coat. But, I don't like the idea of clear coating it. The clear coat probably won't hold up as well as the original paint and would require a fair bit of work to be able to coat it well in the future. Why not use it as is. I don't see any of the rust you mentioned unless that's on the bottom in which case I would only coat or paint the bottom. Plus, anything you do to it is going to dramatically hurt it's value as a collectable. Leaving it original will preserve any value it might have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: