Patching a hole in kitchen ceiling

Old 01-25-23, 03:23 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patching a hole in kitchen ceiling

First let me start by saying that on a DIY skill level from 1 to 10 I'm maybe a 3. So simplest is best.

I have a hole about an inch across in my kitchen ceiling (see picture). I know I can't make it look perfect without repainting the whole thing. But what I I do to make it a whole lot less noticeable?

Thanks.

Old 01-25-23, 04:25 PM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Putting a patch in is not that hard but the below is easier and who knows more fun.

Get something like the below and then come up with a story as to what it is and/or why it is there
Prime-Line 5 in., Rigid Vinyl, White, Self Adhesive Wall Protector U 9244 - The Home Depot

Old 01-25-23, 11:51 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is small enough that you can patch it with drywall compound. Trim the torn edges, neatly patch with compound, several coats, add a little primer and touch up, or paint the entire ceiling so you wont see it.

Looks like there might be some heavy texture there, picture not great, if so that may require some of the spray on texture to blend it in!

You want to make the repair look less obvious than the damage!

Old 01-26-23, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
On small repairs like that I usually thin down joint compound and pat it on with a sponge to 'match' the texture.

What is the diameter of the hole?

Old 01-26-23, 05:52 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Mark - The OP said the hole is about 1". I would just clean up the edges and add a little backing to the hole since it is in the ceiling and then use joint compound.

marksr, sdodder voted this post useful.
Old 01-29-23, 10:20 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, so here is what I ended up doing. I found a company (Soto) that makes spackle in different shades. Got some spackle from them in a shade close to the ceiling color. The problem with spackle is that it goes all over the place. So I measured the hole and cut a hole a little larger in some 3" masking tape. Put the tape over the hole, and applied the spackle. Perfect patch? No. But if I decide to paint, I'd have needed to spackle the hole anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: