Yellowish drips running down our bathroom walls?

Old 07-10-01, 10:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Our bathroom walls have yellowish drips running down from the ceiling. The drips are tacky and remind me of resin or tree sap. Does anyone know the cause of this and how we can fix it? Could it be caused by the fact that our bathroom does not have a fan?
Thanks!

Old 07-10-01, 10:40 AM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Question

Not sure of what may be causing you problem, so not sure if the fan would solve it....probally wouldn't hurt to have one anyhow.

"The drips are tacky and remind me of resin or tree sap."

Is it possible this is due to a build up of nicotine from smokers and the stream from the shower? Has it been raining alot in your area? Sure you don't have a roof leak and the water and goo is leaking through the ceiling? How long of you been in this house?

Old 07-10-01, 10:49 AM
BSB
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This may sound gross, but what does it taste like? I read a post a few weeks ago that was about the same, some one suggested they look in the attic and see if they had a bee hive (nest) that was leaking honey.

Brian

You may be able to smell it first to see if it even smells like honey before you go sticking it in your mouth.

Old 07-10-01, 01:04 PM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Talking

Send BSB a taste sample!!! I guess it is a possibility, seen something on TV the other night about a hive being in the ceiling of a house. I have removed hives from the walls of buildings. Do you see alot of bees flying around your house? Look to see if you can see them going in and out of the attic vents or soffet vents.

Old 07-10-01, 05:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Darn, no bee hives. You guys are making me hungry! I was hoping to make a fresh honey and peanut butter sandwich…

The house is an old bungalow and we’ve lived here for 2 years. It’s been doing this ever since we’ve been here.

There are no leaks in the attic and it doesn’t have a smoky smell or any smell for that matter. It is very tacky and doesn’t clean off well with soap but does clean off with mineral spirits. Not that there is a-lot to clean off, just a few drips here and there.

Could someone painting latex over an oil-based paint without priming cause this? If that is the case how can I correct it? Is there a really good primer/sealer I can use?

Old 07-13-01, 12:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Your tack drips might be surfactant bleed coming from the paint. If the paint is dark, tinting may have added excess surfactants, and the moisture in the bathroom is drawing it out from the paint. Check with your paint store. If it's the case, you should be able to wash them off with soap and water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: