Do you change out your brush after x minute? Rollers?

Old 03-18-23, 11:21 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you change out your brush after x minute? Rollers?

I'm a very intermittent painter around the house. So I forget things from the last time.

I just cut in a closet. took about 1 hour.,the full length of the bristles (along with some of the handle / my hand : ) get paint on them - painting overhead, the paint in the front of the brush flows down towards the handle?, etc.

1) Would you say that's to be expected?

And that paint all around the brush starts drying out. Overall, the brush gets stiffer, I might get a dried / gooey piece of paint at the tip of the brush and I have to pick it off the brush or wall.

2) All that sound unavoidable / expected?

3) Do you get another brush after x minutes typically? I cleaned up this brush and will reuse it once it dries - I'm not tossing them after 1 use.

some of the brushes say polyester. several I just got tell me they type of wood of the handle (birch).... but don't tell me the bristle material! But it says it's for oil and latex. And the tips are thinner than farther back

4) It's an operator issue, not wrong bristle material, right?

And I think this is the same case with rollers - paint gets on the frame, starts to dry then gets back on the rolller as a gooey piece : )

Do you change rollers after x minutes?

THANKS!

Top Answer

03-19-23, 03:43 AM
marksr
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Normally I'll use the same brush/roller until the job/day is done. I have painted in extreme heat where it was prudent mid day to stick the brush in a bucket of water and get a another brush to finish the day [and then wash both]

I suspect your issues are mostly in your painting technique. When you load your brush you should pat each side of the brush against the work pot to remove the excess paint. Occasionally you need to rake the brush across the rim of the brush to remove any build up.

The shuck/wrapper the brush comes in normally tells the bristle type. For latex that would be nylon, polyester or a blend of the two.

Old 03-19-23, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally I'll use the same brush/roller until the job/day is done. I have painted in extreme heat where it was prudent mid day to stick the brush in a bucket of water and get a another brush to finish the day [and then wash both]

I suspect your issues are mostly in your painting technique. When you load your brush you should pat each side of the brush against the work pot to remove the excess paint. Occasionally you need to rake the brush across the rim of the brush to remove any build up.

The shuck/wrapper the brush comes in normally tells the bristle type. For latex that would be nylon, polyester or a blend of the two.

EdShnatter, stickshift voted this post useful.
Old 03-19-23, 06:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I have never switched brushes or rollers mid-job unless I needed a different style of brush.

EdShnatter voted this post useful.
Old 03-20-23, 11:46 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You should be moving at a pace and have the job setup, prep/tape/cut-in/roll/repeat such that once the painting starts there is no/minimal dead time that paint on brushes and rollers would have time to dry until the job is complete.

Old 03-20-23, 02:07 PM
E
marksr I have a technique?! : )

Thanks. I was getting some rollers today (I bought a kit from Costco that had 'microfiber' rollers. In a room that's pink and painting it grey, the tinted primer clearly let the pink show through. I switched to a roller with more standard material and it (based on my typical process) it covered much better, as I am used to.

1) Any thoughts on microfiber rollers?

At the store, i called Purdy (they make good rollers, right?) . The guy mentioned white dove holds less paint than the marathon. And that too much paint on the wall gives an orange peel texture. Any walls I look at in my 60 years old house have a texture - I always thought that was inevitable with layers of paint over time.

I kinda want to post a pic of my brush after an hour of use.... but you'd likely laugh : ) And I'd get paint on my camera/ phone.

Let me ask this - cutting in on the top of a wall. What width brush do you use? about how far can you paint based on the amount of paint you put on the brush? I likely get 1 - 2' along the wall and using a 2 1/2" brush (I'm holding the brush so it makes a 2 1/2" border on the wall). I'll have dipped the brush about 2" into the paint, tap it off (not wipe) against the lip a couple times. A little paint might drip from the brush. And working above, paint is working its way down the bristles.

For a room that's 13x13 x 8' high, 30' x 80" door to hall, 2 double hung windows (52"x88") and 60" wide x 80" high closet opening, any time benchmarks you could mention?

For you, how long does it take to do these things?
time to cut in ceiiling?
Roll the ceiling?
Cut in the walls?
Roll the walls?
Paint the trim?

And then you do it again (1 coat of primer, 1 coat of paint)?

After the first coat, is the original color (pretty?) completely covered? Sure color can bleed through in some combinations. But also too, you could put the first coat on heavy enough that it might not. ie, I'm trying to get a feel for how much paint you are putting on the walls.

As another benchmark - the tinted sherwin williams drywall primer for the walls is about 80% left. The can says it should cover 400'. so (13' * 8')*4 - Door - closet - windows = 334 sq ft., which is 334/400=83%!?

So I am putting a roughly correct amount on? (yeah, a fair amount is on me, the dropcloths and in the brush and roller : )

Old 03-20-23, 02:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never really paid any attention to how far a brush full of paint goes. The brush and how it's loaded along with the wall texture and porosity will also play a part.

The brush you are using and how you load it sounds good. Don't worry about how long it takes you - as long as the paint job looks good that is all that matters. I used to be quick but old age has put a damper on that. Now I'm confused and frustrated that it takes me too long [comparatively] to paint. .... but then everything takes me longer these days

It's best to start at the top and work your way down. I found that it's quicker/easier to enamel all the stand up trim before painting the walls. It's easier to brush the wall paint up to the trim than vice a versus. Baseboard gets painted last.

Old 03-20-23, 10:39 PM
I've never attempted to paint an entire room at once, that is 3 separate tasks since the paints are different, ceiling paint, trim paint, wall paint!

Old 03-21-23, 08:26 AM
E
Thanks guys. I ramble and overthink. Your words are concise and very valuable, touching on my concerns that I can't really say clearly : )

marksr great idea about the stand up trim!
Marq1 yes! I forget how pros did things the rare times in the distant past they did work. I envisioned them banging things out quick and me wondering how. me - as you say you do, am doing things in discrete steps over days (weeks).

Old 03-21-23, 09:05 AM
am doing things in discrete steps over days (weeks).
And at times months and years!

Old 03-21-23, 01:46 PM
E
good point!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: