Painting concrete porch & steps to look like brick

Old 07-10-01, 02:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I am trying to find out how to paint my concrete front porch and steps to look like brick, I have seen this done but cannot remember how it was done. I have searched everywhere for a book or some material related to this subject to no avail-please help.

Old 07-10-01, 02:41 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

If my wife was here she could give you all the steps, she did this to part of our driveway.
The main thing is to properly prep the cement to allow the paint to adhere to it. Also to get two paints that will adhere well together, as one will be placed over the other.
Once she had the cement cleaned and ready to go, she painted the entire surface with black paint (color of the mortar between bricks). You can use whatever color you would like to have. She than use a sponge the size of a brick. Dipped it in the red paint and placed it on the black painted area. She repeated this process, putting each "brick" approximately 1/2" from the other to allow the mortar to show through.
Of course, prior to "laying the brick", she determined what pattern she wanted and worked from the center out so any partial bricks were around the outside of the pattern.
Hope this helps, I'm sure it won't answer all your questions but maybe it will get you started.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: