Roast me ? Not really, but thoughts on my painting job?

Old 03-30-23, 08:13 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roast me ? Not really, but thoughts on my painting job?

I saw that hash tag a long time ago - people would post a pic and look for people to trash them. I'm not really looking for intentional abuse, unless you really think it's warranted.

Not really sure why it took weeks to paint this room other than me getting distracted on other things, spending too much time trying to fix nail pops (bulges, not actual cracking), putting in a new fan but needing to run always on power to the ceiling box, etc...

But here's some wider shots and close ups of some areas. I only used painters tape on the floor. I painted the ceiling, overpainting to the walls. Painted the walls and overpainted onto the trim. Then painted the trim with just a brush.

The paint was all Sherwin Williams. Emerald on the walls and trim. The walls were pink before, grey now. And the trim was white.

I haven't painted in years but a bunch over time. It's a 50 year old house and 60 year old painter.

Curious what people think, specifically of:
  • The wall overpaint on the ceiling
  • The trim line on that vertical piece, and along the radiator
  • And after 3? coats of trim paint, I am still seeing grey on the small side of the trim piece. I guess I need to use masking tape to be able to put the paint on heavier on that surface without worrying about getting trim paint on the wall? Is there any advice for trying to do trim by hand AND put it on heavier to cover the other color?
  • There's a shot at a low angle with a flashlight showing patching on a wall. Some I did, some was there. Looking at it straight on, no one would notice. It is what it is? It IS 50 years of use...

THANKS!

Old 03-30-23, 08:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I find that a high quality brush can have a huge impact on how well paint covers and how easy it is to cut in edges. Cheap brushes are never worth the money you save. A quality brush will produce superior results and can last a long time if you are good about cleaning it after use. Rolling paint is less fussy about the quality of the roller. Quality still counts but it doesn't seem to have as much impact as it does with brushes.

Old 03-30-23, 08:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Overall the first pic don't look bad. The rest should look ok once you do a little touch up.

Old 03-30-23, 09:22 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Touch-ups, yes. Other than that looks pretty good.

We are always our own worst critics. We will see things in work we have done that others will never notice.

Last edited by 2john02458; 03-30-23 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Like that typo.
EdShnatter voted this post useful.
Old 03-30-23, 10:48 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
THANKS!
2john02458 SO TRUE!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: