I Need Your Help!!!

Old 07-16-01, 03:59 AM
Pat Fox
Visiting Guest
Question

I painted my ceiling with two coats of a latex primer before painting with a flat ceiling paint. The primer went on without incident, but when I put on the latex ceiling paint a patch in the center of the ceiling started to bubble and peel off. I contacted the paint store and they told me that the water in latex paint has a chemical reaction with nicotine and this could be causing the problem. The lady who owned the house before us did smoke but I washed the ceiling before painting. I now have to repaint the ceiling with an oil based primer. I have scraped the ceiling where it bubbled but am concerned about the rest of the ceiling, can I just paint over it with the oil base primer or will I have to scrape the entire ceiling before repainting? Any help you can give would be appreciated. Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-01, 04:56 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Pat Fox, Go ahead with the oil primer, patch the spot and you shouldn't have any problems. I think more than a reaction with nicotine residue the water in the latex primer caused the the loose spot. This will not be possible with the oil.....Mike