Painting kitchen cabinets

Old 07-16-01, 05:24 PM
Married only to a house!
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My kitchen cabinets are 20 year old dark brown laminate on particle board doors and cabinets. I cannot afford the $3000 replacement cost at this time. Someone suggested painting them might make them tolerable until I can afford to replace them. Is it possible to paint over laminate and still have a durable, workable, washable surface? I doubt it, but is it possible paint the countertops also?

If it is possible, are there any special products you must use?

Old 07-18-01, 06:15 PM
Housemarried,
Sure, you can paint over laminated cabinets. Clean them very good, TSP usually will take of kitchen's built up greases. Apply at least one coat of Kilz as a primer.
Then paint your final coat with a good latex or oil base paint. Using a gloss or semi-gloss will ease the occasional cleaning.
I would not suggest painting the counter tops. They get too much uasge - dings, scrapes, scratches, etc.
fred

Old 07-18-01, 06:33 PM
Married only to a house!
Thanks Fred! I was hoping someone might have an answer.
I found a "Cabinet & Trim - high closs enamel" made by Valspar. The brochure says to use a "bonding" primer - Are all primers bonding primers? Also, is there a better primer than Kilz - I have had soem trouble with Kilz in the past.
I also found out I can replace my countertops for less than $100 which eliminates the whole painting idea.

Have a good one,

Old 07-18-01, 08:24 PM
Ray,
Most primers are made to both seal the wood and supply the 'bite' for final paint coats. Since the laminate is your seal, all you need is a good primer before the final coat. Just go with a good name brand primer, Valspar's should be fine.
fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: