Fixing the

Old 07-23-01, 10:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi, there!!

My problem is that I have a brown residue bleeding throught the clapboard siding that I have painted multiple times.

I have put a on coat of white latex acrylic primer sealer undercoat, followed by two coats of white exterior acrylic latex enamel (semi gloss). The brown ooze persists through all this, and I am about at my wits end.

My questions are:

1) Will TSP remove the brown ooz without damaging the enamel?

2) What can I do to seal this gunk so it doesn't reappear?
(i.e. What is the remedy, Doctor?)

Old 07-24-01, 04:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
p_butt,
I'm not the Doctor but I've got a good starter question.
Do you burn wood in a fireplace?? If you do you may have a chimney problem which is leaking creosote.
A mild TSP solution will remove it temporarily, but I believe you have another underlying problem.
Let us know.
fred

Old 07-24-01, 08:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Fixing the (paint problem)

fewalt:

No, not a creosote problem. The ooz is bleeding through the wood underneath the paint. It's more like a residue.

No fireplace, no exterior contamination of any kind.

What's a painter to do?

Old 07-24-01, 02:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
P_butt,
I'm glad it's not a creosote problem. Something in the wood, resins or saps, is apparently bleeding through. I believe you will need to bare the wood in the affected areas and reapply a good sealer. Two good coats of sealer should keep it from coming through. Try to find a brand that stresses sealing over priming. There is some additional information on this site:
http://www.paint.org/con_info/exterior.htm
I hope your problem is isolated and not all over.
fred

Old 07-24-01, 07:38 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
p_butt, Try an oil base exterior primer on a secton followed by topcoat....If all is as you say I bet it doesn't come back.....Mike

Old 07-25-01, 12:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Fixing the (painting problem)

I found an oil based primer/sealer product that dries rapidly and is very effective at covering. It's called "Stain Killer" at Benjamin Moore. It really works in situations like mine. Don't need to strip and redo, just a spot coat of this stuff, then a coat of primer, then a topcoat of my latex enamel. Works great!

Thanks for the rapid responses! Sure helped!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: