storage of paint

Old 08-01-01, 06:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

The previous owners of the home I purchase left some paint. I need to know if the paint is any good. The paint is flat and semi latex. The paint has been storage in my garage which is not heated. It's very cold in the weather and extremely hot in the summer. The storaged paint has been explosed to both elements for at least 1 year. Would the paint still be okay to use. If not, what is the proper way to dispose of this paint.

Old 08-03-01, 12:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Latex paints that are exposed to heat and cold go through what is called a freeze/thaw cycle. Some paints can go through quite a few cycles and still look good and some do not. It depends on the quality of the formulation. If the paint looks like cottage cheese, it is not good. If it stirs into a nice ceamy consistency, it may be OK. If it smells bad, it is not good. Anyway, if it has been setting in a shed for a year and exposed to the heat and cold, I would not use it. Contact your local landfill and see if they will accept latex paint. If not, contact one of your city sanitation officials. They should be able to direct you to the right place.

Old 08-09-01, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile Paint Storage

Thank you for replying to ? about storage of paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: