Painting Blunder

Old 08-15-01, 04:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I was trying to be helpful, but mistakenly applied an oil-based paint (hi-gloss) to walls that were suppose to be painted in a latex version of the same color. My husband, a perfectionist who already has spent days sanding the walls and the molding, is beside himself with frustration and ready to kill me because he thinks it means five hours of sanding in order to apply the latex. I 'm sure (praying) that there is a less onerous solution, such as liquid sanders. Any suggestions for saving our marriage would be most welcome. Thanks, Ann

Old 08-16-01, 04:31 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
lalancha, Lightly sand the oil to knock the gloss off with 100grit drywall paper. You can get a plastic sanding attachment to go on your rolling stick that would help if you have more than a room to do. Prime with Zinsser 123 and repaint....Mike

Old 08-16-01, 11:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your suggestion. Is the Zinsser Cover Stain (Primer Sealer, Stain-Killer, Bond Coat), which we happen to have on hand as effective as the 1-2-3, or is the 1-2-3 THE product for the job? Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-16-01, 12:16 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Don't know about the Cover Stain but am sure if it is an oil product it will be fine. If it is a latex I can't advise. The 123 will do the job and is water based and thought since you had oiled the room once it would be nice not to do it again....Mike

Old 08-16-01, 12:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Touché, nice point! Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: