Painting inside kitchen cabinets

Old 08-17-01, 06:43 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Cool

Hi, I'm going to paint the inside of my kitchen cabinets white to brighten it up. The question is should I use Latex or oil on the shelves. A friend said the latex would not dry as hard as oil. Plates left setting for some time would stick to latex paint.
Thanks Woodbutcher

Old 08-19-01, 02:11 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Woodbutcher, Latex enamel does tend to stick to anything heavy for a time. What it will do most of time is an item will go in after paint is dry but not cured and after a few months when moved it will take a little paint with it. The only cure for this is about 2-3 months of drying time, out of the question really. You could use waterborne enamel if you had a week to cure it but would want an oil on the outside if you could swing it. If you had a very large set of cabinets it would be worth two kinds of paint to cut down the pain of oiling the inside of cabinets. You can look for sticking under a stack of heavy glass bowls with any paint that is not a couple of months old....Mike

Old 08-26-01, 01:22 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Dear Mike, Thank You for your input. I have decided to paint the inside of the cabinets White using a Latex paint to prevent yellowing. I will put a light coat of varnish on the top of the shelves to seal the wood than when set, cover with shelving paper.The exterior will be varnished.
Again Thank You Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: