Painting Over Glossy Wood

Old 08-21-01, 03:21 PM
deannicholas
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Has anyone ever just painted over a glossy laquered wood (trim and doors) and had good results? I have had both sides of the "sand the gloss off" advice. Just wanted to see if anyone has any real world experience of the paint chipping off or peeling off if one has not sanded. Thanks all.

Dean

Old 08-22-01, 04:18 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
deannicholas, If you know you have lacquer paint now sanding will only help new paint stay to a degree and you are looking for trouble if you use regular house paint over it without a good sanding and a shellac based primer sealer.....Mike

Old 08-22-01, 07:10 AM
deannicholas
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks Mike, This is shiny wood trim around the doors and on baseboards. I know that it is glossy, not sure if it is varnish or laquer, I do have wood primer that I am goin to use 1st before the paint, so is your advice to sand clean prime and paint?

Thanks again,

Dean

Old 08-23-01, 04:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile Painting over glossy wood

deannicholas: Around four years ago, in a fit of enthusiasm, i painted the wood trim around my bathroom mirror. The wood had some sort of laquer or varnish on it, and all i did was sand the varnish to remove the gloss(i used 220 grit), masked the mirror, then sprayed it(no undercoat, just topcoat) with enamel from a spray can. The finished product looks great, no paint has fallen off, and it's easily cleaned. My figuring was that the varnish acted as a kind of undercoat as long as all gloss was removed, and the surface preped properly, hope this helps!

Old 08-24-01, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dean,
I can almost guarantee no one brushed on lacquer. Don't waste your time with a coat of primer. The poly coat you have is a primer for your paint. Do as previously suggested, just sand lightly to give the paint something to hang on to. It may take two coats for a good cover, so priming is just unneeded work.
fed

Old 08-26-01, 05:46 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
No doubt good luck has been found doing things in many different ways and what it comes down to in the business is decreasing the odds of disaster. When I look a home owner in the eye and tell them "I can do this for X amount and it will hold up" I have to get the odds going my way whatever it takes. If I do one iffy thing on some part of a home and have trouble out of 1 in 10 I have something like 12-15 sometimes big problems a year and that won't do if I want to work next year. After whatever prep if a surface is questionable a coat of correct primer is a small chore and price to pay for the assurance that all that comes after is going to be all it should and if going with two coats the primer can be tinted to some degree toward the final color and nothing is really lost and a great deal gained....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: