Repainting a kitchen stove...FOR MIKE PLEASE

Old 09-19-01, 04:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Mike- I read your reply to edgeharley about using Sherwin-Williams Paint on appliances. My husband and I are disagreeing on how much time between coats of paint. Should you spray the second coat before or after two hours to prevent wrinkling? We are trying to repaint a stove. Also-is this paint OK for the heat that the stove will have?
Thanks!
Michelle

Old 09-20-01, 01:13 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
maschliman, I havn't been to the post you refer to but I do hope I didn't explain myself in a way that makes it unclear on the recoating of acrylic spray paint. After the first coat goes on the second must go on within two hours. From there the third coat must go on within two hours of the second and so on. Two hours is the outside limit and I like to recoat every thirty minutes if it drys and it should. On the heat thing, nothing except a baked on enamel will hold up like we would all like it to on a stove. I usaully don't advise painting stove tops here but have done a few with good results. The limitatons to the spray we are dealing with here are inability to hold color if someone runs a stove eye on high for very long or very often. The intense heat will darken the paint a little around the eye in time. If the grease is kept off and you only bring things to a boil and then cook at mid temps you should get good service all things considered. If you feel this is a problem look into hi-heat engine enamel. The chain auto parts stores have this rated for 1500 degrees but I doubt it can be found in almond if that is what you need....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: