painting a stove

Old 09-22-01, 06:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks Mike for the info...but I have another question.

FYI-we are moving and are leaving the appliances. The stove is the only one that is not new. The color is gold and our realtor feels that we need to replace it because of the color. But, it is a drop-in stove and expensive to replace, and we just don't have the extra right now.

So, we want to paint it. How do we prepare the surface to paint? I am thinking that we should wash with a TSP solution? We just painted our aluminum siding last month and that is how we prepared that.

Any advice would be great! I am just now leaving to go get paint. Thanks for any advice!

Michelle

Old 09-26-01, 08:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello. Well you certainly have chosen a tough task. To do a good job painting a stove, I would recommend that you spray paint it which will mean masking the stove where it is or taking it out and spraying it somewhere else. Just getting rented spray equipment set up and functional is a real challenge to someone who has not used spray equipment before. If you locate an acceptable paint, somntimes autobody places will spray things for you. Now you have to decide what paint to use. A stove top is exposed to many cleaning chemicals and abrasives not to mention the heat of the coils or burners. I think that you would need to use a special paint like a silicone or epoxy paint to withstand all of the elements I just mentioned. Some of the other posts have mentioned some paints that have been or are recommended for appliances but I have not used any of them. Try to find a knowledgable person at a name brand paint store. Good Luck

Old 09-26-01, 06:03 PM
Visiting Guest
We painted the stove and it worked great! First we washed with a TSP solution and allowed it to dry. After taping the handle and cupboards off, we spray painted it with Rust-Oleum High Heat paint (up to 1200 degrees) We gave it 3 coats of this, and since it is a semi-gloss, we topped it off with one coat of RustOleum's applaince epoxy paint, which is glossy. Let it dry for 48 hours and it looks terrific. We have baked and used the stove-top. It took 2 cans of high-heat paint and 1 of the appliance paint. At $4 a can, it was ALOT cheaper than getting a new stove. Nothing is wrong with ours and the color change is great for our kitchen!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: