Alternatives to Home Depots Paint Suppliers

Old 10-03-01, 07:49 AM
Bart Beaudin
Visiting Guest
Question

I have painted the exterior and interior of our home using Gliden latex paints sold through Home Depot. I have not been paricularily happy with the paint(except for $$$) and wondered whether those of you with more experience would recommend OTHER paint products that are of good quality and have a good price.

Old 10-03-01, 09:08 AM
Wrenched
Visiting Guest
I have recently had several friends recommend KMart's Martha Stewart paints. They say they're relatively inexpensive and cover and wash better than the much more expensive Ralph Lauren stuff they've used. I have a can myself, but haven't yet tried it out; still, everyone else speaks highly of it.

Old 10-03-01, 01:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Alternatives to Home Depot Paint Supplies

Try California paints. They are incredible. A friend recommended that brand to me and once I tried it, I wondered why I had ever used any other paint. I used it on our garage doors where no other paint lasted...it goes on easily, covers in one coat, resists sun fading, and stays on. That was 4 years ago and I have since tried California interior paint...equally as good. I don't know how price compares, but even if it is more expensive...it is worth every penny.

Old 10-03-01, 01:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
An alternative to Home Depot paint

I always use Sherwin Williams paint. They have been around for 134 years.

Old 10-04-01, 01:04 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you get what you pay for....

With paint - you truly get what you pay for.

Sherwin-Williams is a very good paint. Pratt&Lambert has a good reputation. There are some regional paints that are very good. For example, DeVoe is a good brand, but I don't know its availablity outside the midwest.

You will pay more for these brands. But they cover better and the paint goes on easier and lasts longer.

BTW - also spend the $$ on your tools. Cheap tools (brushes and rollers) aren't worth the $ you save.

Old 10-18-01, 09:57 AM
Lauraa
Visiting Guest
on the same subject...

What do you experts think about the Sears paints and the Dutchboy paints. They are made by Sherwin Williams. I used the Sears Easy Living myself and it sticks real well.

Old 10-19-01, 02:16 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I hate to reply under a post that someone asks for an expert or pro because I am really very humble. I have used a good bit of Sears paint and overall it is good stuff. There is a home a couple of blocks from me that was in horrible shape 8 years ago when I painted it and it looks as good today as the day it was done. Weather Beater semi-gloss was the paint used. Drawbacks to using Sears are not in the quality but in the help you may not get in the paint department. The only other thing I have on them that I don't like is they don't have a true flat interior latex unless something has changed. This could be a plus for those who want a washable flat because it has a small amount of sheen(somewhat less than an eggshell) but when I buy flat that is what I want.
Until recently Martha Stewart was made by Sherwin-Williams but that is not the case now so use caution here. All that I have used has been very good paint.
Devoe, B/Moore and Richards(scarce but very good) are all very good paints.
When buying paint from a big box store stay away from the house brand and always get the top of the line from the name brand they sell if you must buy from them.....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: