Texture Painting

Old 10-08-01, 07:43 AM
Visiting Guest
I want to paint a wall to look and have a textured appearance like denim. How can I do that?

Old 10-09-01, 03:10 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Small question. Really BIG answer.

Takes a heavy paint. You'll have to add some whiting to your paint. How much? I've never measured. It needs to be mixed, then set aside for several hours to adjust. Finished product is a bit lighter than whipped cream. The idea is to get a product that will hold the effects of a bristled brush being dragged across it without leveling out.

alternatively you could buy it premade as in Ralph Lauren's paints. I don't like his clothes much, but he did make a $13 million contribution to the restoration of the star spangled banner at Smithsonian, so I don't mind too much...

Technique is a larger issue. Apply heavy finish in small widths vertically from ceiling to floor, maybe 12" wide with a roller. Foam roller is best for this. Immediately brush out with coarse stiff brush vertically and horizontally (no diagonals) to imprint the texture necessary. Try it on a scrap of sheetrock available at your local supply store/lumber yard.

good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: