How To Reach High Ceiling Over Stairs

Old 10-19-01, 05:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

How can I get close enough to the top edge of the ceiling over my stairs so that I can paint the trim? It is pretty high up there. Will setting up an articulated ladder as a platform right on the stairs work?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-01, 06:49 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Option 1: Ladder+steps+scaffold board.

Option 2: Trampoline?

??????????

[Edited by toptosher on 10-19-01 at 10:52]

Old 10-19-01, 07:48 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
The trampoline actually works pretty well. You load your brush when you come down, take a nice fell swoop on the trim when your anti-gravity reaches it's apex. I've found that the client's kids do this quite readily. Have plenty of drops.

And please, Bob, this is a joke . The diagram furnished is about as safe as they come without nailing cleats etc into your walls and extending off them. Articulated ladder will only get you so far, maybe enough but it depends on your security level atop a 12' ladder suspended over dangerous territory. Walk board as illustrated is recommended for all but the stupid (like me).

Old 10-19-01, 07:58 PM
T
Bob....Make sure that the scaffold board extends well inside the steps and ladder..
If you decide to go for option 2 then please wear a hard hat!!

Old 10-19-01, 08:11 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
By god, Tops, you've given me an idea!!!! For all those jobs requiring me to move up and down the floors ad continuum, me thinks the trampoline would work quite well once you were used to it.

Don't think the clients diving board from the pool would work as well, however.

Imagine...you need that gallon of penetrol on the patio. Just holler at your helper, he hops on the Tramp. and presto! in your hands through the dormer window!!!

You're a genius How about we market this concept? Maybe with a little refinement we could do away with the helper, like he hands you the Penetrol on his way up, but on his way down, the Tramp tilts at an angle that will land him in the alley out back??? That same tilting thingy could be used to load up the truck at the end of the day... just toss the stuff out the window, hits the tramp. and lands in the truck!!! Oh, geez, what was the question now???

Sonnie "the ever thinking" Layne

Old 10-19-01, 08:20 PM
T
How about we market this concept?
This time next year Sonny,,,,,,We`ll be millionaires..Either that or six foot under!!

Old 10-19-01, 08:25 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Hell, prob'ly both!!!

If I were worth a mil, man... I'd be worth more dead than alive.

I forget, been a while since I've been around here... where do you hale from? Are you from Texoma? I've lost my mind lately and it seems my sense of direction as well.

s

Old 10-19-01, 08:31 PM
T
I think on your side of the water,Im refered to as a "limey"...North Herts U.K...Remember?

Old 10-19-01, 08:42 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Ahh, yes, excuse me.
Tho' I've never reffered to anyone from UK as a "limey". and uhhh, wasn't that an old sailor's slang of some sort? Like maybe they would sail back with limes from the new world to prevent scurvy or such? Hell, I'm probably way off track.

best regards,
Sonnie
Dallas TX

Old 10-20-01, 03:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Toptosher,

Thanks for your suggestion that I use ladders as illustrated. This prompted me to go out and buy a step ladder. I had primed only a small area of the stair walls when my wife took the job over -- she was like a little kid about it, so thrilled to be painting.

Since you are British, let me also compliment the pub grub. And can you tell me what 'Toptosher' means?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Old 10-21-01, 03:47 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Bob,

How great that your wife likes that sort of thing. I can appreciate it, I still get excited with each new job and I've been doing it a long time. The platform as illustrated is not OSHA approved, so if they show up, tell 'em its for displaying AOS award winning orchids !

Old 10-22-01, 03:19 AM
T
can you tell me what 'Toptosher' means?
Top= Self elevated skill level

Tosher=(slang} Sloppy Painter... (made good/reformed)..

Old 10-24-01, 02:53 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
So, we actually have a name for the station wagon bandits that cruise up and down the streets calling themselves painters? Toshers all!

Thanks again to our mother land. Here we just call 'em bums.

I suspect there are other uses for the term Tosher as well, please tell. I'd like to be up on the slang when I get there.

Sonnie

Old 10-24-01, 03:09 AM
T
Suspect builders & decorators are called "cowboys" in the U.K
They are the "screw too short and a nail too long" crew!..

I used to know of a team of Asian decorators and their advert went something like this...
Singh & Singh Ltd.
You`ve had the Cowboys....Now try the Indians!!
Call Southhall 778834.

A friend of mine in East London used to have a building company called...Bodgit and creepaway.. Funny enough..That name gave him all the work he could handle..Go figure!!

Old 10-24-01, 11:11 AM
Visiting Guest
The last time I was there -- I stayed at a B&B near Heathrow. I arrived late in the evening and was hungry. No problem, I thought to myself, just go out and find a pub. Get myself a nice pot pie. So off I went on foot (I was tired of my car) from pub to pub...and couldn't find one that offered food. It was well past the dining hour it seemed and was either a Saturday or Sunday night. Bad timing through and through. The next morning I checked in at Heathrow for my plane to Dulles Airport and after going around the terminal I found...to my great joy!!! McDonalds!!!