Painting vinyl covered wallboard

Old 10-20-01, 02:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I really need help! Have been given several different kinds of advice and don't have the time or money to do this twice.

We live in a mobile home. The walls are vinyl covered wallboard with joint strips. The time has long passed where the walls need painting. And I really want to get rid of these obnoxious strips.

We have been told that if we pulled off the strips and used non-shrinking spackling compound to cover the spaces (about 1/8" in width), we could then apply some stuff we were given, Aquacrylic Gripper by Dulux, and paint over everything. Will this work? Or is there something else that would be better?

Would like to get this done by Thanksgiving because my daughter is coming to visit. I work full time, go to school and my husband is sick so I'll be doing this on my own. Help me, please.

Old 10-20-01, 04:11 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have never used Aquacrylic Gripper by Dulux but Im sure it will be fine if that is what is says it can do on the tin.. The rest of the advice given to you sounds ok but you must remember that if the vinyl surface has a slightly textured "orange peel" look then this will differ from the sections that you fill..Fill the seams and paint over with your paint as a kind of primer(only down the seams) allow to completley dry and check for filler that has sunk or is uneven and refill these areas..Spot prime these bits once again allow to dry and then apply 2 coats with a brush(around the edges,corners ect)and the rest with a short pile roller... Thats it!!

Old 10-20-01, 10:55 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
The joints where the strips were will have to be taped with fibermesh tape and at the least drywall paper tape or they will surely crack in time even without moving the home...Mike

Old 10-20-01, 09:13 PM
T
Mike..If they use a flexible caulk or mastic there will be no problem with cracking.That stuff will stretch up to 1/16 of an inch before it is stressed.The gap is only 1/8!!
If they dont like the "obnoxious strips" then I doubt that they will admire the tape that much either...

Old 10-21-01, 12:43 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Your right! When I suggest taping I meant to tape and then float out smooth like a sheetrock joint. This is to make the joint go away but may be a step or two beyond what llorene wants to do. Sorry if I caused any confusion....Mike

Old 10-21-01, 03:11 AM
Visiting Guest
painting vinyl walls

I really appreciate all the input. So now are we into spackling compound or caulking?

Old 10-21-01, 08:12 AM
T
Run a flexible decorators caulk into the gaps and run a flexible filling knife down the joint..Wipe off excess caulk away with a damp cloth from the sides of the joint and allow to dry..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: